ASSIGNMENT DESCRIPTION: All Production Managers are required to complete this assignment. The whole group will decide on purpose and audience, and in coordination with group members, the Production Manager will research and write an explanation and game plan for achieving this purpose and audience. This requires working with group members to determine how to pace the narration (Science Writer), which images and sounds to choose (Artistic Director), and production effects can be used (Technical Expert).
ASSIGNMENT EXPECTATIONS & DETAILS:
Address each of the following in your assignment. You will be evaluated based on the completeness of your essay in answering these questions, as well as a strong structure and organization. A 500 word limit is strongly encouraged. Be sure to reference your sources.
1. Determine the purpose and perspective of your video; include specific ideas of how you will work with the Science Writer, Artistic Director and Technical Expert to effectively create this purpose and perspective. How will you incorporate the science of the topic into this perspective?
2. Determine the audience of your video. How will you reach this audience? What are appropriate terms, pictures and language to reach this audience? Are graphs appropriate, or simple diagrams/pictures?
Assignment due via Trunk by 11:55 pm, October 19, 2012.
Purpose and perspective: What is the thesis and direction of your project? Does it fit into any of these broad classifications?
1. Impartial evaluation of claims: evaluation of a claim, including evidence for or against a statement. Can use evidence to come to the scientifically-supported conclusion (e.g., overwhelming evidence support climate change) or leaves it more open-ended (e.g., pros and cons of nuclear power).
2. Persuasive: clear distinction between scientific evidence and the interpretation of this evidence to support a persuasive argument
3. Advocacy: persuasion on behalf of a group of people, animals, region, etc.
4. Natural history: outlining the science behind a natural phenomenon
5. Human perspectives: environmental issues and how humans affect and are affected by these issues
Audience: If this were to be used in some capacity (education, PSA, etc.), who would you intend to see it?
1. What specific group of people do you aim to reach? e.g., policy-makers, K-12 students, consumers, conservation groups
2. What age group?
3. What level of education?
4. How specific or broad is your audience?