UIT-AT is often asked to provide support for web-connected database solutions. Unfortunately, more often than not, we can’t take these problems on because they don’t fall within our scope (e.g. technology to support teaching, learning, and research). Usually its more in the office administration scope.
So, for those clients, here is one simple solution for managing data-collection via the web. Google Docs to the rescue.
The basic features are:
- You can create a custom form with as many fields as you want by selecting labels and format for the input of each field.
- Once you have created the form you can copy the provided “embed code” that will allow you to then embed the form in you web site, wiki, blog, etc.
- When a visitor to your site fills in the form the data is saved in a Google Docs spreadsheet.
- Google Docs spreadsheets provide you with the usual spreadsheet functions such as data formulas, graphs, sorting etc.
- You can set up your spreadsheet to automatically email you whenever a new entry is submitted.