Tufts University Logo SITE_NAME

Search  GO >

this site tufts.edu people
SITE_NAME SITE_NAME SITE_NAME  

SITE_NAME

Recent Posts

Categories

Archives

SITE_NAME 6
Printer-friendly version

Dictating into the Fedora Commons Web client, transcript

Tab one
tab one
tab One
tab One
tab One
tab One
tab One
tab One
mousegrid
five
seven
nine seven click
go to sleep
What you just saw was me trying to tab into the interface. You just saw was me trying to tab into the interface. I couldn’t. There’s no keyboard interaction with that screen, and I couldn’t get into it, or if I could there wasn’t any highlighting or anything indicating that I was in the screen. So eventually I used Dragon’s mouse controls which as you see are a little bit clunky.

Wake up
tab one
tab one
go to sleep
Hey, look, a mouse control, awesome! Okay, so I’m going to try to use it. I mean a keyboard control.
Listen to me
wake up
paste that
tab One
press enter
tab one
tab One
tab One
tab One
tab One
tab One
tab One
go to sleep
And suddenly, where’s my keyboard control? I’ve lost it. Moreover, once I have keyboard control, I can’t get out of it. This is a problem with a lot of Adobe products. This interface is written in Adobe AIR [Editor's note: I misspoke, it's written in Adobe FLEX]. There are ways you can tie accessibility controls into Adobe AIR. I don’t think they did; most people don’t. It’s the same thing with Flash; very very few people make accessible flash. You can, it’s nontrivial. Adobe puts up documentation and most people don’t bother.
Listen to me
mouse window
eight
one
8 2 click
tab One
go to sleep
Okay, so now I want to try to get out of here into my regular Firefox controls.
Listen to me
press control key L
go to sleep
That should have taken me to the address bar and it didn’t because Adobe AIR has taken over the keyboard. To give you a quick idea of what normal interface, what ability I usually have to interface with the computer, I’m just going to take you to Google, and you’ll see what kind of controls I have.
Listen to me
mousegrid
two
two
5 8 click
golf oscar oscar golf lima echo dot charlie oscar mike
go to sleep
So all those numbers are from a fantastic Firefox extension called “mouseless browsing” which puts numbers on everything clickable, so usually I can go in, I can go out, I can do whatever I need.
Listen to me
spell mode off
Web accessibility
spell mode on
press control key five
go to sleep
I said I was feeling lucky, and it took me to the Web accessibility initiative, and you can see there’s a lot of pages I can reach. I’m going to go to “presentations and tutorials”.
Listen to me
1 2
2 6
go to sleep
So as you can see on a normal webpage I have plenty of access, so it’s not a “Hey, you don’t have a mouse, you can’t use a computer,” thing, it’s a “Applications have to be written with access in mind.”
Listen to me
press function 10