Reflection 12/5

December 5, 2016

Even though I often forgot that Florianopolis is an island, its drastic weather change never fails to remind me of that. Before I arrived in Florianopolis, I pictured Brazil as a sunshine country with no rain, but Florianopolis has successfully proven me wrong. Having lived here for almost three months now, I gradually got accustomed to bringing an umbrella with me wherever I go. I also got used to having mold on my clothes and three dogs that never dry.

Last weekend Florianopolis was hit by a very severe storm. Southern Florianopolis in particular was a wreckage after the storm. I live in the north of the island which suffered much less damage than the south, but we still lost power for over a day. On Sunday, my family woke up with no electricity which made me realize how dependent I and my family are on internet. The entire morning I was very fidgety because I was cut off from the rest of the world. I tried very hard to settle down and do something productive, but it was very hard. My host mom couldn’t stop complaining and my sister couldn’t study for her finals because the wifi wasn’t working.

To my surprise, what seemed to be a terrible day actually turned out to be a memorable experience. In the afternoon, after getting used to putting away my electronics, I was finally able to sit down, make myself a cup of tea and just read. My host mom also retreated back to her own room to do some writing. Later on, my host mom lit candles in order to cook dinner. Since candles were the only source of light, we all stayed in the kitchen while my mom cooked which doesn’t happen very often. Without electronics and background music, there was nothing to distract us from a heart-to-heart conversation.