Tuesday, 22 September 2009
Over the past year, Miriam Allman, our fearless Engineering/ Mathematics/ Sciences Bibliographer and Collection Development Manager, has made important additions to the Tufts collections on engineering and mathematics. Some highlights:
- Knovel: Our subscription for this collection of online technical manuals and references for engineers now includes subject sections for Earth Sciences and for Sustainable Energy & Development. And, as reported a few weeks ago in this newsletter, Knovel enhanced its interface.
- SpringerLink: Our subscription for this comprehensive database of online scientific and books and journals now includes journal archives and books for Business & Economics, Computer Science, and Engineering. The online book collection begins with 1996 and the journals go back to their initial date of publication.
- Reaxys: Reaxys is an online source of information on organic, inorganic and organometallic compounds. It is based on the combined content of CrossFire Beilstein, CrossFire Gmelin, and Patent Chemistry Database (PCD) as well as additional pharmacological, ecological and toxicological data. Searches can be done on substances, reactions, and citations as well as by drawing chemical structures.
- Standard Methods for the Examination of Water and Wastewater: Published jointly by American Public Health Association, American Water Works Association, Water Environment Federation, this collection presents analytical techniques for the determination of water quality developed by the Standard Methods Committee (SMC).
- In the Human Factors realm, online subscriptions have been launched for two important journals: Human Factors, from the Human Factors Society, and Ergonomics, the official publication of the Ergonomics Research Society.
- Institute of Civil Engineers (ICE) Virtual Library: This is an online journal archive covering every major civil engineering discipline and includes high quality journals such as Géotechnique and ICE Proceedings.
- National Research Council (NRC) of Canada: Subscriptions have been activated to various NRC journals, including to the Canadian Geotechnical Journal (Revue canadienne de géotechnique), the Canadian Journal of Civil Engineering (Revue canadienne de génie civil), and the Canadian journal of earth sciences (Revue canadienne des sciences de la Terre). Other NRC journals have also been added to the collection.
- The print collection has been expanded to include, among other items, resources are on the increasingly popular open software for statistics, R. Such titles include Data Manipulation with R, Robust Statistical Methods with R, and Statistical Computing with R.