Save the Harbor/Save the Bay Policy Intern
Save the Harbor/Save the Bay is led by a broad group of civic, corporate, cultural, and community leaders as well as citizens and scientists whose shared mission is to:
• restore and protect Boston Harbor and Massachusetts Bay
• reconnect our citizens, our communities and especially our young people to the sea
• ensure the balanced development of a world-class waterfront for everyone to enjoy
Position Description: The policy intern will be enthusiastic and interested in working on a variety of projects focused on improving the water quality of the Boston Harbor. This is an outstanding opportunity for someone interested in learning about the role the non-profit sector plays in environmental improvement and advocacy since our interns have the opportunity to explore many facets of managing a far-reaching, successful non-profit organization.
Job Tasks will include:
• Data Analysis and Interpretation: Gather data on the water in the harbor to evaluate the quality of the water for recreation activities such as fishing, boating, and swimming; Review the results of the water tests, and determine whether or not they reinforce current water use policies.
• Policy and Communication: Organize information on a number of projects that Save the Harbor/Save the Bay can present at local and regional meetings. Prepare memos and emails that explain new water use policies and proposals to local organizations and officials.
• Research current policy issues, preserve and organize newspaper clips, prepare policy related mailings and emails.
• Excellent writing and communications skills
• Science background is not required, though an interest in science as it relates to the Boston Harbor and water quality is a must
• Attention to detail and accuracy
• Computer skills including Microsoft Word, Excel, and internet searches
Compensation: Save the Harbor/Save the Bay does not provide stipends for internships, but will work closely with students to see that the internship meets credit requirements. You need not be a student to apply. This position is 15-30 hours a week depending on availability, and is located at our office on Fish Pier in South Boston.
We are looking for applicants for fall internship positions to start as soon as possible.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter and resume to: email@example.com or contact Rajani Marie Mitchell at 617-451-2860 x 1009 for more information.