Full Time Garden Educator
Boston Natural Areas Network (BNAN) is a 36-year old urban environmental non-profit working to preserve, protect and expand open space in Boston. Working collaboratively with community, public agencies, and non-profits, BNAN combines the environment with cultural, social and public health issues. BNAN offers a wide range of educational, recreational and cultural programs to build constituencies for Boston’s community gardens, greenways and urban wilds.
BNAN is looking to fill a key position – the Garden Educator – to develop and coordinate garden education programs. The Garden Educator will be responsible for developing, implementing and/or presenting programs that increase people’s skills and knowledge of gardening, health and nutrition, and ecological concepts while working in collaboration with staff, volunteers and consultants.
BNAN is seeking a responsible, passionate and experienced educator with an understanding of community gardens and growing in a variety of urban landscapes and conditions. This individual should possess excellent educational skills, demonstrated experience with garden and nutrition-based education and experience with volunteer management.
Work will include, but is not limited to:
• Plan and manage the Master Urban Gardener (MUG) program.
• Manage the Students Learning through Urban Gardening (SLUG) program.
• Manage annual events including the annual Gardeners Gathering and spring and fall festivals
• Develop and present workshops for general public and special programs
• Research, develop and implement new programs aligned with BNAN’s strategic plan
• Work with the Director of Property to develop, program and maintain the Learning Garden at City Natives
• Provide support and advice for community gardeners via phone, email and site visits
• Maintain program records, evaluations and volunteer tracking systems
• Make contributions to newsletter, website and social media
Qualifications and Experience:
• Bachelor or Masters degree in Horticulture, Health & Nutrition, Environmental Science or related fields.
• Familiarity with Boston and community gardens
• Demonstrated teaching, event coordination and volunteer management skills
• Demonstrated experience with program management tools, procedures and budgeting.
• Strong attention to detail and follow-through skills.
• Strong people and leadership skills.
• Ability to work nights and weekends
• Excellent computer, writing and organization skills.
Additional Skills and Interests
• Ability to be flexible and work in non-traditional, multi-racial and multi-cultural environments.
• Knowledge of Spanish or a second language is a plus.
• Access to a vehicle to transport program material
• Sense of humor
Schedule and Salary
This is a full time, permanent position at BNAN.
Weekend and evening hours will be required.
Salary is competitive, commensurate with experience and qualifications, plus generous benefits.
Send a resume and detailed cover letter describing why you will make an exceptional Garden Educator for BNAN to Vidya Tikku, Vice President at email@example.com . Applications will be reveiwed on a rolling basis until April 30, 2013.
Please include your last name and the position you are applying for, in the title of your file attachments.
BNAN is an equal opportunity employer.
Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.