Appalachian Mountain Club Editorial Internship
Founded in 1876, AMC is the nation’s oldest outdoor recreation and conservation organization. AMC promotes the protection, enjoyment, and understanding of the mountains, forests, waters, and trails of the Appalachian region.
Appalachian Mountain Club Books is the publishing arm of AMC, a nonprofit organization with more than 100,000 members, advocates, and supporters; 16,000 volunteers; and more than 450 full-time and seasonal staff. Our 12 chapters reach from Maine to Washington, DC. AMC Books publishes more than 70 guidebooks, maps, and adventure narratives, covering a range of outdoor activities throughout the Northeast, including hiking, biking, paddling, and skiing. We also publish Appalachia, America’s longest-running mountaineering and conservation journal. Appalachia offers adventure narratives, coverage of conservation and research issues, poetry, mountaineering news, book reviews, and regional accident reports.
We offer fall, spring, and summer editorial internships (academic credit optional). Interns will have the opportunity to learn about book development, page layout, cartography, copyediting, proofreading, printing, ebook production, and project scheduling and coordinating. Projects may also include online editorial and production-related tasks, based on the interest of the individual. Interns will also gain some insight into the book marketing processes.
We require interns to commit to a minimum of 15 hours per week for the duration of the internship. Schedules are flexible and are set according to interns’ availability.
- Copyedit, proofread, and fact-check print and digital projects in development
- Review page layouts (including text and maps), monitor text corrections, mark up PDFs
- Review proofs and F&Gs
- Apply for CIP and Copyright registration
- Research sales histories and special topics, such as regional outdoor activities, related to books in development and to traditional and digital publishing trends
- Assist staff with file archiving
- Assist production, editorial, and marketing staff as needed
- AMC Books internships are unpaid. Completion for college credit preferred but not required.
- Working with a small team, you will observe a variety of publishing processes.
- If you have a particular skill or editorial interest that you would like to develop, we will work with you to ensure that you get the most out of your time with us.
- Casual environment, flexible work schedule, convenient Beacon Hill location.
Start/end dates are negotiable, but a may-August committment is suggested.
To Apply, email AMCbooks@outdoors.org your resume and cover letter by 5/31/13. Please use the subject line “AMC Books Summer Internship.”
Candidates may be asked to complete a brief editing test.