Policy Intern: Save The Harbor/Save The Bay
Save the Harbor/Save the Bay is led by a broad group of civic, corporate, cultural, and community leaders as well as citizens and scientists whose shared mission is to:
• restore and protect Boston Harbor and Massachusetts Bay
• reconnect our citizens, our communities and especially our young people to the sea
• ensure the balanced development of a world-class waterfront for everyone to enjoy
Position Description: The policy intern will be enthusiastic and interested in working on a variety of projects focused on improving the water quality of the Boston Harbor. This is an outstanding opportunity for someone interested in learning about the role the non-profit sector plays in environmental improvement and advocacy since our interns have the opportunity to explore many facets of managing a far-reaching, successful non-profit organization.
Start date: May 6, 2013
End date: August 30, 2013
Job Tasks will include:
• Data Analysis and Interpretation: Gather data on the water in the harbor to evaluate the quality of the water for recreation activities such as fishing, boating, and swimming; Review the results of the water tests, and determine whether or not they reinforce current water use policies.
• Policy and Communication: Organize information on a number of projects that Save the Harbor/Save the Bay can present at local and regional meetings. Prepare memos and emails that explain new water use policies and proposals to local organizations and officials.
• Research current policy issues, preserve and organize newspaper clips, prepare policy related mailings and emails.
• Excellent writing and communications skills
• Science background is not required, though an interest in science as it relates to the Boston Harbor and water quality is a must
• Attention to detail and accuracy
• Computer skills including Microsoft Word, Excel, and internet searches
Compensation: Save the Harbor/Save the Bay does not provide stipends for internships, but will work closely with students to see that the internship meets credit requirements. You need not be a student to apply. This position is 15-30 hours a week depending on availability, and is located at our office on Fish Pier in South Boston.
Application deadline April 26, 2013