The Community Programs Coordinator is a full time one year position based out of AMC’s Boston office.
This new position is designed to help us invigorate public programming close to Boston including the Bay Circuit trail corridor in the Framingham area, and one other Metrowest or Boston Community. Responsibilities will include developing and providing free introductory outdoor programs (include hiking, biking, canoeing, etc.) as well as recruiting and training new AMC volunteers to lead additional family programming. The Coordinator will engage in outreach and relationship building with existing and new partners. Time will be spent both with office-based administrative duties and field-based program delivery and training. Close cooperation and coordination with other AMC departments is essential to the success of the position particularly in the development of programs that dovetail with existing resources and the educational goals of the Club.
The Youth and Family Outdoor Community Coordinator will interact with AMC’s local chapter leadership and other volunteers including volunteers and staff with the Bay Circuit Alliance. Local chapters are run by volunteers who organize meetings, trips, trainings and other events to fulfill the club’s mission of getting people outdoors so that they learn about nature and will then act to protect the places they love. The focus of working with the chapters will be to communicate about available programs, assess their volunteer skills set and needs, and build a cadre of volunteers who can sustain close to home programming into the future.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop, manage, and deliver a full complement of family based programs (focused on children aged 6-12) that will spark dynamic participant experiences and encourage continued contact and connection with the outdoors.
- Assist in the creation of an overall vision and long term plan to ensure that the program strategy will continue beyond the focus year, consistent with the AMC mission, and appealing to target audiences.
- Recruit, train, and mentor new family outing leaders including volunteer leader leaders. Monitor programs through co-leads, program observation instructor de-briefs and participant evaluations.
- Coordinate all program logistics with other AMC groups, departments and partners including chapters and other volunteer communities where appropriate.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of programs and prepare program summary reports as needed
- Collaborate with AMC’s communication staff in the creation of promotional and other information to raise awareness about the program within and outside of AMC’s community. Provide social media content and other deliverables associated with promotion of programs
- Develop, coordinate, and deliver, a range of environmental and outdoor education programs in the target region
- Assist in directing the work of volunteers in outreach program delivery
- Assist work within the surrounding communities to foster relationships between schools, youth and community organizations to increase resources in the schools for outdoor, place-based, and environmental education. Work to foster networking among community resources to increase youth development efforts.
- Other Duties as assigned.
- Experience teaching outdoor/environmental education for families and young adults is preferred.
- Must be able to take initiative, have good attention to detail, and work at times without direct supervision.
- Strong experience in program evaluation and presentation and exceptional public service skills.
- A BA/BS in environmental studies, outdoor leadership and recreation, or related field is desirable.
- Portuguese or Spanish speaker preferred.
- Experience working with, or as, a volunteer. (2-3 year minimum)
- An effective team approach in a large and diverse organization is appreciated.
- Driver’s license with acceptable driving record is required.
- Current Wilderness First Aid and CPR are required (or the ability to obtain prior to starting the position).
- Physical abilities required: Must be able to carry up to 40+ pounds of equipment backpacking with ease.
- Work is also performed in a standard office setting.
- Incumbent must be willing to work a flexible schedule including evenings and weekends.