Become a Team GreenSense Counselor
Cambridge Department of Public Works seeks a qualified individual to supervise a six-week summer youth program. The supervisor will work with a group of approximately 12 high school students to lead and coordinate educational activities to support learning and work objectives related to energy efficiency and environmental sustainability in an urban setting, and to help these students develop a final project that reflects what they have learned by participating in the program. Specific duties include but are but are not limited to the following:
- Develop and implement a project-based curriculum on a variety of sustainability topics relating to urban life, including energy measurement, transportation, urban eco-systems (including forests and water), and waste reduction
- Supervise students on a daily basis.
- Schedule internal and external partners, guest speakers, and site visits into the weekly schedule.
- Adapt materials and activities based on the needs of the students.
- Assist students as they work to develop their final project.
- Ensure professional presentation and behavior of students on daily basis.
- Provide written evaluation and recommendations to program at end of summer
- Experience working with youth (ages 14-18) in an informal or experiential education setting
- Demonstrated experience with group facilitation and team-building
- Enthusiasm and flexibility; ability to “think on one’s feet” to revise and/or adapt to curriculum and schedule changes.
- College coursework in environmental science, urban planning, or education preferred. Bachelor’s degree preferred. Equivalent experience may substitute for education.
- Solid basic skills in reading, writing, science, and mathematics
- A demonstrated interest in environmental and energy issues
- Familiarity with Cambridge preferred
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: Must make site visits, which involves walking, cycling, bending, squatting, reaching, pulling, pushing, and climbing. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: Classroom setting, various outdoor environments in all conditions.
HOURS OF WORK: 20-25 hours/week; 10 weeks, June through mid- August
Application Deadline is May 14, 2013
THE CITY OF CAMBRIDGE IS AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. WOMEN, MINORITIES, VETERANS, AND PERSONS WITH DISABILITIES ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY. CITY OF CAMBRIDGE RESIDENTS ARE ESPECIALLY ENCOUARGE TO APPLY.