Online Mapping Intern, New Economics Institute
The New Economics Institute is a national nonprofit based in Cambridge, MA. We have a decades-long history working at the forefront of the transition to a just and sustainable economy that prioritizes people and the planet over profits, first as the E.F. Schumacher Society and—since the start of the economic crisis in 2007—as the New Economics Institute.
Today, we are focused on building a diverse movement of people and organizations who share our vision for a different type of economy, a New Economy. There is a groundswell of energy across the United States for alternative approaches to traditional commerce—from cooperatives, social enterprises and b corps to community banks, land trusts, time banks and local currencies—alternatives that disrupt the status quo and build the foundation for long-term social change.
NEI is seeking an Online Mapping Intern to help develop our Global Transition to a New Economy website (GTNE). The position is an opportunity to work at the forefront of the “new economy movement,” with a specific focus on cataloguing and building relationships with organizations all around the country. The internship will allow for a significant level of autonomy and creativity.
This is a paid (stipend) position and the ideal candidate will make a 20 hr/week commitment through the summer and fall.
If you are interested in exploring careers in the nonprofit sector or in social justice organizing—particularly with a focus in communications—then this position is a perfect opportunity to get started.
- Maintaining exisiting data on the map to ensure that it is current
- Doing targeted outreach to increase the number of projects on the map and website traffic
- Surveying site visitors to understand needs and opportunities for improvement
- Publicizing the website via NEI’s social media
- Developing internal process to ensure maintence and sustainability of the map
- Helping to manage relationships with software vendors and consultants
- Providing communications support to NEI’s programmatic work as needed
- Any other tasks as reasonably requested by President, Manager of Communications and Online Organizing, or other staff
- An interest in the mission and work of the New Economics Institute
- A familiarity using online content management systems (e.g. Drupal, WordPress)
- Strong communicatinons skills
- Strong writing skills
- An interest in mapping and data visualization preffered
- HTML/CSS fluency preferred
To Apply, Submit a cover letter, CV, and writing sample to: firstname.lastname@example.org by May 15, 2013