The Massachusetts Office of Coastal Zone Management (CZM) seeks a COASTSWEEP marketing and social media intern with strong written and verbal communication skills to optimize Massachusetts’s role and visibility in the annual beach cleanup. The goal of this internship is to increase volunteer participation, event sponsorship, and public awareness of the hazards of marine debris by:
• Developing and implementing a marketing and social media strategy for COASTSWEEP to increase public awareness of the event and promote participation (this may involve press, community calendars, standard and emerging social media outlets, schools and civic groups, as well as working with other environmental agencies and non-profit organizations).
• Identifying and contacting potential sponsors for in-kind donations that will be used as prizes for COASTSWEEP participants.
• Planning a kickoff cleanup for COASTSWEEP and identifying and contacting food and beverage sponsors for the kick-off event.
• Identifying and contacting local print and radio outlets to run public service announcements for COASTSWEEP.
• Updating and informing past, current, and potential future COASTSWEEP volunteers through a variety of social media (may include a regular web-feature, Facebook, blogs, Twitter posts, and Instagram and/or Flicker photos).
• Regularly updating CZM Outreach Team on all of the above and continually strategizing ways to heighten awareness of COASTSWEEP (to include a weekly meeting with one or more of the team).
Our ideal intern is enthusiastic, able to think quickly, and communicate appropriately with a variety of people. In addition, the candidate should have:
• Proven experience with social and traditional media campaigns and marketing
• Excellent research skills
• Ability to communicate clearly – both in writing and conversation
• Good telephone manner
• Ability to work with minimal supervision
• Excellent follow through skills
• The gift of being detail oriented
• Proficiency in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and social media platforms
• A creative mind that can brainstorm and think outside the circle
• Ability to work 15-20 hours a week from June through October
• College or Graduate Student
The right candidate will be compensated $10-$16/hr.
To learn more about Coastal Zone Management go to www.mass.gov/envir and click on the MA Coastal Zone Management link.
To apply for this internship, log on to Mass.gov Human Resources Division and create a profile. The application deadline for Summer 2013 is May 15.