The position reports to the DPW City Arborist and works closely with the Landscape Administrator for the DPW. Specific duties include but are not limited to the following:
- Responsibly represent the Cambridge Department of Public Works – Parks and Forestry Division
- Inspect, water, and maintain selected young trees throughout the City.
- Ride a bike with trailer attached loaded with equipment and connect equipment to fire hydrants in order to water trees and fill ‘Gator Bags’ with water. Weed existing tree wells
- Interact with residents and businesses and educate them about tree care.
- Supervise volunteers.
- Perform related tasks as needed.
Background in urban forestry, horticulture, or environmental studies. Some supervisory experience working with volunteers highly desirable Undergraduate coursework in Horticulture, Forestry or Environmental Studies strongly preferred. Ability to identify common tree species. Ability to work independently. Strong communication and writing skills. Excellent interpersonal skills
Work Environment/Physical Demands:
Moderate physical activity including lifting, bending, squatting, stretching, pushing, dragging, reaching, and pulling. Exposure to all weather conditions. Work outside for extended periods of time. Ride a bike for several miles a day. Pre-employment Physical Examination may be required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
To Apply: Submit your resume and letter of interest via email to: email@example.com or to Personnel Dept, Room 309, City Hall, 795 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge MA 02139. Fax 617-349-4312. Review of resumes will begin 05/31/13.