Operations Intern: New Economy Coalition
The New Economy Coalition (NEC) is offering an Internship with our Operations team in Cambridge. All Operations positions are a blended role handling administrative tasks, data management, project coordination and finance. You will be responsible for supporting our whole management team, reporting to Operations but also occasionally working with other senior staff and the President to keep things running tightly and smoothly as we approach our national conference in early June. This is a paid, part-time position (10-20 hours per week).
The Operations Intern performs administrative tasks, data management and, occasionally, finance tasks. You will be responsible for directly supporting our Operations team, which in turn serves the whole organization, reporting to the Operations Manager but also occasionally working with other senior staff and the President. The ideal candidate will be extremely organized, resourceful and able to multitask. Strong interpersonal skills are necessary for dealing with everyone inside and outside the organization in an appropriate manner. You will need to understand the objectives and goals of the organization and the emerging frame of the New Economy, and make sure you are contributing to achieving them in the most effective way. The goals and key functions of this job include the following:
ADMINISTRATIVE SUPPORT: Supporting the management team in both special and routine projects and activities; helping with external correspondence, coordination for key organizational meetings, agendas and materials for all staff and senior staff meetings, scheduling and setting up spaces as needed; maintaining calendars, scheduling meetings/attendance at events, including time/location, re-arranging meetings, planning travel with travel agent
DATA MANAGEMENT: Using and helping improve data collection systems and procedures to insure timely reporting for internal and external use; reviewing data to identify issues and challenges affecting program operations, internal administration and fundraising; maintaining campaign databases and other resources.
FINANCE: The Operations Intern will have or quickly develop an understanding of basic accounting principles and Accounts Payable and Receivable and nonprofit accounting practices. The Operations Intern may be involved in periodic finance tasks including AP processing and weekly deposits, as well as invoicing clients and assisting with payroll processing and budgeting.
Your responsibilities will include, but not be limited to:
- Office administration needs (inventory and office supplies, drafting email and other external correspondence, photocopying, file organization and maintenance, book travel arrangements, preparing large mailings, coordinate team-wide calendar and logistics and other clerical work as needed).
- Assisting with logistics, planning and coordination of upcoming projects, deadlines and events, and managing volunteers for organization events.
- Executive assistance, supporting the President’s planning and activities.
- Data collection, recordkeeping, data entry, compiling, organizing and updating database using Salesforce and other online applications.
- Finance tasks including, light bookkeeping, budgeting, invoicing, processing donations and purchases.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Commitment to the New Economy Coalition’s mission and the emerging New Economy movement.
- Experience in office management or administrative role is preferred.
- Strong organizational skills. Keen attention to detail is a must.
- Ability to meet deadlines.
- Strong writing and proofreading skills.
- Ability to work independently, being proactive in identifying problems and finding solutions.
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality of records and information.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and database management (Experience with Salesforce or equivalent software is a plus).
- Basic understanding of accounting principles and practices (Experience with QuickBooks or equivalent software is a plus).