PhD Position | Ecosystem Ecology & Biogeochemistry

by Kris Pieper on September 9, 2015

From Dr. Pamela Templer of Boston University:

I invite applications for doctoral work in my lab beginning fall 2016 in the areas of biogeochemistry, forest ecology, global change biology and related fields. Applicants should be independent and highly motivated with academic research and/or field experience in plant ecology, soil ecology or nutrient cycling. Funding is available to work on a project at Hubbard Brook examining the effects of climate change on forest productivity and nutrient dynamics in northern hardwood forests (www.hubbardbrook.org/research/climate/templer.shtml). This NSF-funded project aims to better understand how climate change affects biogeochemical cycling of nitrogen, carbon and water.

My research program covers a broad range of topics including human impacts on the global nitrogen cycle, the effects of urbanization on nitrogen and carbon cycling, nutrient inputs from fog to coastal forest ecosystems, and the role of disturbances in nutrient uptake by trees. Students in my lab participate in the interdisciplinary Ph.D. Program in Biogeoscience at Boston University (www.bu.edu/bio-geo), which spans many departments including Biology, Earth & Environment, and Archaeology. The Graduate School at Boston University guarantees five years of salary for Ph.D. students.

I encourage prospective students to contact me (ptempler@bu.edu) to discuss potential projects. Please use ‘Prospective Graduate Student’ in the subject line. Formal review of applications will begin in our department December 7, 2015, but interested applicants should contact me any time.

Interested applicants can look at the following web-sites for useful information:
people.bu.edu/ptempler
www.bu.edu/biology
www.bu.edu/bio-geo
www.bu.edu/cas/prospective-students/graduate-admissions
www.hubbardbrook.org