Research Assistant – Stakeholders’ Understanding of New England Flood Risks | Tufts Institute of the Environment

by Kris Pieper on November 11, 2015
Mapping and Contrasting Stakeholders’ Understanding of Flood Risks along New England’s coast
I am looking for a motivated undergraduate student to help me with my PhD research. Coastal communities in New England are struggling to agree on how best to protect themselves in the face of growing flood risk concerns. This research examines the role of collaborative approaches in harmonizing differences between stakeholders¹ perceptions about risks and what ought to be done about them. Over the next month, I plan to conduct, transcribe, and code about 25 interviews with stakeholder representatives and technical experts in a coastal Rhode Island town. Research Assistants will be mentored in qualitative methods including the opportunity to lead at least five of the interviews, training to code transcripts in leading software NVivo, and use of SystemSketch, an EPA model for assessing conceptual models.
The internship pays $10/hr and I am looking for someone who can commit to at least 100 hours, but can pay for up to 250 hours during the spring semester.
Students must be able to free an entire day each week in order to conduct full day site visits (currently flexible as to which day that will be). In addition students¹ work will include off-site time transcribing notes and audio recordings, and time in our TIE-based (Miller Hall) office coding and synthesizing interviews. Opportunities exists for students interested in working with me in future phases, as well as co-authoring articles based on collected data in Phase 1. If interested, please contact Michal Russo (michal.russo@tufts.edu) with a short paragraph reflecting your interest and relevant experience and your availability from now until May 2016.

From → Uncategorized