Mulembe, from Kyle the Agriculturist (definitely my most PC nickname from this trip so far),

What a CRAZY couple of days! We’ve accomplished so much, it’s pretty hard to believe. Less than 36 hours ago, the tank was in the same state it had been for the past year – overgrown and unused. But thanks to both the wise guidance of Jude, Vincent, a few engineers (including an old man named John) and the indomitable work ethic of the local kids, we’re nearly complete with the tank renovations already. Beginning with yesterday afternoon, we laid siege to the tank roof and borehole-facing wall, gathered load after load of local bricks, and excavated the space surrounding the tank –and we all have the bruises and blisters to show for it! Tomorrow, we will be adding the last coats of cement, making the roof, and attempting to finish the steps and drainage ditch.

Other than the tankwork, we’ve also been busy finishing up our water sample collection efforts. After wandering about Shilongo for a couple of hours, the last of these samples were collected, incubated, and tested over the past 24 hours, and we’re eagerly waiting for the results. We’ve also been quite busy enjoying life out here to its fullest when we can, and we’re well on our way to having tried all of the local dishes. Trivia fact of the day: Rolexes aren’t just watches – they’re also delicious rolled-up omelets on chapatti (thanks Microsoft Word for the spelling help there). We haven’t had the energy for round two of our soccer matches, but we keep competitive over making best and worst jokes of the day (so far it’s a close tie between Kevin and Peter, but Kevin DID get ten points today for something… not sure of the conversion just yet – I’ll get back to you on how this may eventually add up).

The weather remains glorious – a very sleepable 60° at night, and a hot and sunny 85° during the day. Last night it rained for the first time since we got here – we all awoke to a barrage of raindrops on our corrugated tin roof – sounded louder than any rainfall I’d ever heard!

Anyways, I’m going to wrap this up here – Peter is giving me shifty looks as I type away, and we definitely have a bit of a trek home from Mbale with various comestibles. Hrm, not quite sure how to end this – since I started with the local greeting, it only makes sense to end it the same way! Unfortunately, this is something I haven’t learned yet… So, ___________________ (insert convincing surrogate for a Lugisu good-bye!).