Kate's Heading South

Nearly 150 admitted students joined the Fletcher community at Monday’s Open House.  It’s a frenzied day for everyone, but enjoyable, too!  All the sessions went smoothly, thanks to the efforts and organization of Kate who, I’m sorry to say, is moving on after this week.

Before starting at Fletcher, Kate had explored the admissions process from two other directions:  first as an undergraduate admissions officer at Union College in New York, and then as a college counselor at a private high school in Massachusetts.  Her work at Fletcher was her first foray into graduate education, but she jumped right in and looked like a veteran in no time.

Kate’s office is next to mine, and like all Admissions staff members, we like to talk about restaurants, food, and movies.  She also offered me sage advice last year, as I attempted to guide my son through his college application process.  This winter, I tried (unsuccessfully) to convince her to describe her reading days at home for the admissions blog.   I enjoyed the tales of how she explained her reading methods and routines to her husband, Scott, who was also working from their apartment.  She replayed conversations that went like this:

Scott:  I’m hungry.  Want to have lunch?

Kate:  No, Scott.  I can’t have lunch yet.  I haven’t read enough applications.

(Note:  As Kate says it in these stories, “no” rhymes with too — a nice long oooo for emphasis!)

Scott:  Well, you can read them after lunch.

Kate:  Noooo — I have to stay focused.

Now Scott’s job is taking them to Virginia, where applicants to some other school will benefit from Kate’s kind and patient guidance.

Kate’s last day will be tomorrow (Thursday).  I know there are blog readers who have met her during the past year’s application process, or even on Monday at the Open House.  If you’d like to wish her well, send her a note by email or with a comment to today’s blog entry.  We’ll miss her, and wish her all the best!

4 thoughts on “Kate's Heading South

• April 16, 2009 at 7:42 pm

I am wondering will you now have an accent???? Ha ha ha!!!! The Wohlleber’s wish you well. Now Lily needs a book entiled “Good Night Richmond.”

• April 16, 2009 at 5:38 pm

Kate,
    It is great to see what Dad and I have always known – once you set your mind to something nothing is impossible!!! Can’t wait to see what you do with the next phase of your career and life!!! Love, Mom and Dad

• April 16, 2009 at 10:14 am

Kate, you are a star! The south won’t know what hit them! Find a good yarn shop and we promise to be down for a visit!

Love you,
    Aunt Beth

• April 15, 2009 at 11:21 am

Kate, You are going to be the best thing to happen to the South since someone thought of adding cheese to grits.