Where would we be without students?

Naturally, without students Fletcher wouldn’t be a school, but that’s not what I’m talking about.  Students play a big role in our admissions process.  Nearly 40 are conducting interviews.  Seven or eight will sit on our Admissions Committees for the MA/MALD and MIB programs.  And a beloved handful — our Admissions Interns — keep the work of the office moving along.  What do they do that might interest a blog reader?  They answer emails and take questions by phone; conduct information sessions; compile application folders; update information in the application database; prepare mailings; staple stuff; date stamp other stuff; and just overall give our office a lively and friendly vibe.

I’ve asked the Admissions Interns to introduce themselves.  I’ll start with the newbies.

First up — Caitlin:

Hello!  My name is Caitlin, and I’m a first-year MALD student.  Originally from the Boston area, it feels great to be back in Massachusetts (temporarily, at least!) after a whirlwind couple of years living and traveling around the world.

Before coming to Fletcher I interned with two NGO’s focused on children’s rights and education, first in Yaoundé, Cameroon and then back in Boston at Roots & Shoots, a program of the Jane Goodall Institute.  From there, I moved to Paris, where I spent a year teaching English and working on my French.  Living and working in Paris was wonderful,  but highlights of the year also include traveling around Europe and to Morocco.  After moving back to the States, I was in NYC working at UN Headquarters in the Department of Public Information and for the UN Pension Fund.  I loved being part of such an international work environment, and am thrilled to be a part of an equally diverse community here at Fletcher.

My fields of study at Fletcher are Human Security and Negotiation and Conflict Resolution, with a regional focus on Sub-Saharan Africa.  I’ve been involved in the UN Club, the Fletcher Youth Initiative, and the International Migration Group on campus.   I’m looking forward to working in the Admissions Office this year and to hearing from you as you go through the application process.  Best of luck!

Next — Kartik:

Hey there!  This is my first semester in the MALD program and working in the Admissions Office.  I’m not sure, but I think my Fields of Study are going to be International Security Studies and Energy and Environmental Policy.  Unlike most students at Fletcher, I have lived in Boston for the last three years, and I love the city, so I decided to stay longer.  When I graduate, I hope to work at a renewable energy venture capital firm, focused on emerging markets.  If you have any questions about the Fletcher School or my experience here please don’t hesitate to ask.

And last for today — Lauren:

Greetings!  I’m Lauren, a first year MALD from Colorado and a new addition to the Admissions Office Interns.  The year has gotten off to a great start and the Fletcher community has gone above and beyond my expectations.  The collective experience of this group is absolutely amazing, and I feel so lucky to be a part of such a passionate and compassionate group of scholars.

Before Fletcher, I worked for three years at the American Chamber of Commerce in Germany, where my passion for German language and culture and transatlantic relations really flourished.  While at Fletcher, I plan to focus on International Business Relations and Communications to complement and expand upon my prior experience.  I currently have my sights set on pursuing a career in Corporate Social Responsibility and I am certain that the strengths of the flexible, interdisciplinary curriculum at Fletcher will help me reach my goal.

In what little spare time I have, I enjoy running, cooking (hence the need to run), learning new languages (I’m on Polish at the moment), and being outdoors.  Up next: holding up against my first East Coast winter!