Application update

Here’s a little update for readers planning to apply to Fletcher for 2014 enrollment.

First, you’ll want to note that the online application will be unavailable for most of August.  To be honest, this is a good thing.  There’s no benefit to starting now to fill in the blanks — wait until the new application is in place.

On the other hand, eager applicants might want to outline their answers to the essay questions.  As I mentioned earlier in the summer, we have (for the first time in many years) tweaked the questions.  We took one option from essay two and inserted it in essay one, leaving only one option for essay two.  In other words, here are the questions you’ll be asked to answer on this year’s application:

Essay One:  Personal Statement
Please tell us your goals for graduate study at Fletcher and for your career. Describe the elements of your personal, professional, and/or academic background that have prepared you for your chosen career path.  Why is The Fletcher School the right place to pursue your academic objectives and to prepare you to meet your professional goals?  Why have you selected the degree program to which you are applying? (600-800 words)

Essay Two
Share something about yourself to help the Committee on Admissions develop a more complete picture of who you are.  (500 words, maximum)

I’m happy to provide essay-writing tips.  Tell me (in a comment below) what you’d like to know!

5 thoughts on “Application update

• July 23, 2013 at 9:11 am

Hi Florence,
    There’s good news on the MIB essay front: We’ve decided that we will no longer require the third essay.

As for the current two essays, the first one (the personal statement) is (we hope) very structured and designed to result in a clear picture of what each applicant hopes to achieve at Fletcher and beyond. The second essay, by contrast, is unstructured and wide open. Tell us something about you. The nature of the “something” is up to you. I hope this clarifies it — to us they don’t seem repetitive, so please contact us directly if you have further questions.

Good luck!
    Jessica

• July 23, 2013 at 8:20 am

Dear Jessica,
    I am a prospective applicant for the MIB. Would we be required to write an additional essay, like last year?

Secondly, essay 2 sounds, to me, sounds like a repetition of essay 1. Please could you provide more highlight on the focus on the essay and how they differ.

Thank you.

Florence

• July 17, 2013 at 10:36 am

Thanks Jessica! I’m keeping my fingers crossed for round two.

• July 16, 2013 at 7:38 pm

Thanks for sending me a question, Danielle! And it’s a good one. You should use your personal statement and essay pretty much as you would for a first-time application. Address the reapplication question in the Additional Information section of the application. If you look at the application instructions (http://fletcher.tufts.edu/Admissions/~/media/ED744CBC71174161BCA9D49BC35ACF10.pdf for the MALD program), you’ll see this on page 5: “Reapplicants should use this section to explain how their candidacy has changed since their last application.” We’re still tinkering with the 2014 application, but the reapp instructions won’t change.

I hope this is helpful. Keep the questions coming!
    Jessica

• July 16, 2013 at 5:33 pm

Hi Jessica!

I applied unsuccessfully in 2011. After a couple years building my professional and academic profile, I’m ready to try again.

My question to you is this – as an essay reader, would you prefer to hear a second time applicant talk about their general background or to specifically address what they’ve been doing since the last time they applied? Any general essay tips for people applying a second time around?

Thanks!