Time to wrap up the reports on summer internships. Today, Ali tells us about her summer at YUM! Brands, a major multinational company that just happens to be located in her home town of Louisville, Kentucky.
When’s the last time you looked at a utility bill? What about 20,000 utility bills? That’s what I was doing this summer at YUM! Brands — the parent company for KFC, Pizza Hut, and Taco Bell.
- What is the role of a for-profit company in addressing global climate change and water scarcity?
- How do we communicate with franchisees about sustainability and cost tradeoffs in the supply chain?
- What’s the best way to collect and manage CSR (corporate social responsibility) data from places like the U.S., China, and Australia? Are we only responsible for equity markets, or are we responsible for franchisee markets, too?
- What do investors care about, and how does sustainability affect YUM!’s stock price?
- Should investors and governments encourage utilities to standardize units, billing cycles, and other statement features, as they increase their corporate water and greenhouse gas accounting requests, too?
Under the guidance of the Chief Sustainability Officer and YUM!’s Global Sustainability team, I collaborated with employees from government affairs, foundation, supply chain, IT, investor relations, and more, to author the company’s WDP (water disclosure project) report; develop its water stewardship strategy; select a new data management system; and engage employees, investors, and ESG (Environmental, Social And Governance) research agencies, around YUM!’s sustainability efforts and their connection to its stock price.
I enjoyed my time at YUM!, and this semester, I’m continuing my work from there through my involvement with Net Impact and my internship at Breckinridge Capital Advisors, where I’m learning about sustainability from the fixed income investor’s perspective.
Breckinridge actively recruits Fletcher students, and I’m grateful that coming here for my degree gives me the opportunity to shift my career focus and intern in different settings than I’ve worked in before.
I’m looking forward to reporting more about the great and final year ahead!
Archives by Date
TagsApplication Boston Boston Marathon Business competitions Capstone Career CIERP Class of 2010 Coffee Hours Commencement Community Conferences Cool stuff! deadlines Dean Stavridis Dear Ariel decisions DME Early Notification Essays Faculty Spotlight First-Year Alumni Five-Year Updates Fletcher Forum Gender Ginn Library GRE Hall of Flags IBGC Internships Interview ISSP MIB OCS On the road Outside the classroom Paying for Grad School Professors suggest Recommendations Roxanne Social List Somerville Student Stories thesis waitlist