It’s hard to believe, but the first of the students to arrive (aside from those who are on campus for a quick English brush-up) will start the pre-session courses on August 14, less than two weeks from today! Yikes! That’s how the summer goes: slow…slow…slow FAST! FAST! FAST! Before we know it, Orientation will be here. And timed for the pre-session and Orientation arrivals, I have some new-student advice for you from Cindy, our advice-offering Graduate Assistant. Back in the spring, I asked her to think about the things that would have been handy to know before she arrived for her first year of study. We like to think that we provide all the key info in official correspondence, so Cindy’s list drills down to some lesser known but still important points.
Between Orientation, pre-session courses, shopping day, and moving into a new apartment or Blakeley Hall, starting Fletcher life can be overwhelming. Have no fear! We have compiled a list of useful tidbits that are often overlooked during the hectic start of Fletcher study. We hope you find this collection of somewhat random tips to be helpful when making your transition to Fletcher.
- At the beginning of the year, you’ll be assigned a locker. This is a great place to keep your tea, snacks, and maybe even a change of clothes/shoes for when you really need them.
- Technology troubles? The Ginn Library lends out cell phone chargers, computer chargers, and laptops.
- Don’t forget to join the Social List early on! Students (and even staff) send out emails to the Fletcher family to find used textbooks, post jobs/internships, get a Tylenol when they have a headache, or promote an event on/off campus. You can ask the Social List pretty much anything and you will get a response!
- There are two microwaves that are free for Fletcher students to use: one in Mugar Café and another in the Cabot lower level.
- We have a compost bin in the coat-hanging nook of the Hall of Flags for all of our environment-friendly folk.
- A prime study spot is the third floor study room in Ginn Library. This does need to be booked online through the Ginn Library website.
- There’s a new coffee machine next to Mugar Computer Lab if you are in a rush and need your caffeine. The coffee is nicely priced!
- If you have a bike (which is very useful for getting around campus), you can register it with the Tufts Police Department for free — an added layer of security. And there are several bike racks near our buildings, for those who bike-commute to campus.
- You have free access to the latest versions of Microsoft Office Suite.
Returning to point #3, contact the Social List for info on any of these points or to ask returning students more questions about student life.
Archives by Date
TagsApplication Boston Boston Marathon Business competitions Capstone Career CIERP Class of 2010 Coffee Hours Commencement Community Conferences Cool stuff! deadlines Dean Stavridis Dear Ariel decisions DME Early Notification Essays Faculty Spotlight First-Year Alumni Five-Year Updates Fletcher Forum Gender Ginn Library GRE Hall of Flags IBGC Internships Interview ISSP MIB OCS On the road Outside the classroom Paying for Grad School Professors suggest Recommendations Roxanne Social List Somerville Student Stories thesis waitlist