Tuesday’s post covered Cindy’s general tips for incoming students. Today, she attacks a topic critical to graduate student survival: free food and where to find it. With no further ado, I’ll let Cindy reveal these important nutritional resources.
Let’s face it: everyone enjoys eating free food! Around Fletcher, there are many opportunities for students to keep themselves fueled and fed throughout the semester. Here are some suggestions for how to do just that:
- There’s a Social Hour scheduled every Thursday, sponsored by a different club or organization on campus each week.
- Dean Sheehan holds a pizza lunch once per month. This is a great way to hear about Fletcher news, voice your opinion about what could make Fletcher a better school, and also get to know your school leadership and peers.
- A couple of times each month, the International Security Studies Program hosts guest speaker events that students can sign up for in advance. Business attire is required, and lunch is served. Keep in mind there are cancellation policies for these luncheons!
- Throughout the semester, various student clubs will sponsor events and lunch will often be provided at the event.
- If students don’t manage to eat all the food at an event, any leftovers will typically be placed in the Hall of Flags coat nook. Free! But also first come, first served.
- Evening events that take place in the main ASEAN auditorium are often followed by an open/cash bar with hors d’oeuvres.
- There are many end-of-semester events with free food, which comes in handy when you’re studying hard for exams! Check the Social List for any updates on free food around this time. The Office of Career Services has been known to bring in homemade cookies at the end of the semester.
- Free food isn’t confined to Fletcher. Plenty of Tufts-wide events include a free meal, too!
Of course, where it comes to lectures, book talks, conferences, and meetings, the hope is that students will attend for the opportunity to learn and discuss, not simply to eat. But a free meal is a nice added bonus!
Tagged with: Ask Cindy
Archives by Date
TagsApplication Boston Boston Marathon Business competitions Capstone Career CIERP Class of 2010 Coffee Hours Commencement Community Conferences Cool stuff! deadlines Dean Stavridis Dear Ariel decisions DME Early Notification Essays Faculty Spotlight First-Year Alumni Five-Year Updates Fletcher couples Fletcher Forum Ginn Library GRE IBGC Internships Interview ISSP LLM MIB OCS On the road Outside the classroom Paying for Grad School PhD Professors suggest Reading Days Recommendations Roxanne Social List Student Stories waitlist