Prepare for your application #2: Do your research!

Today we’ll wrap up the suggestions offered by the Admissions team in answer to my question,“What do you wish everyone would do to prepare to apply to Fletcher?” Lucas and Marquita, who spend the most time taking questions by phone from applicants and admitted students, both encourage you to do your research.

Lucas:
Talk to recent graduates and students in the program.  There’s no better way to get a sense for what a school is about than by talking with folks who can speak directly to the student experience.  While everyone’s pathway through Fletcher differs, hearing from your peers who are in the program will help you better assess whether Fletcher is the right place for you, and will help you write a more compelling personal statement.

Marquita:
Prospective students should review the current student and alumni profiles on our website.  This will give you a sense of who is or was studying at Fletcher, including their degree program, involvement while here, and even their current careers.  Also, take a look at our “Class Profile” on the website — this has great information on the demographics of Fletcher, such as average age, as well as the number of enrolling students by degree program.  By learning more about the size and makeup of a class, you will be able to understand the environment of Fletcher and understand if it is a good fit for you.

Jessica:
I also have a suggestion that I may not have covered (or covered often) on the blog in the past.  Or, maybe, it’s more of a hard truth than a suggestion.  At the same time as we want you to do your research before applying, you’ll also need to understand that we’re not going to be able to answer this question: Will I be admitted to Fletcher?  Though I’m 100% in support of not wasting time and money on pointless applications, we’re simply unable to assess an application on the basis of a single credential or an email description of your background.  In truth, the only way you’re going to know if you could be admitted is to apply.

On the other hand, if you know that you have a glaring, possibly insurmountable shortcoming in your academic or professional background, it’s not unreasonable to check in with us.  In that case, you should describe the problem and, instead of asking if you’ll be admitted, ask us how that factor would play out in the application review process.  It’s possible we won’t be able to provide a satisfying answer, but maybe we will.  A specific question like that is very different from “I had a 3.4 GPA and I studied abroad.  Will you admit me?”  Those two qualities describe people on either side of the admit/deny continuum.  To get an answer, you’ll just need to apply.

And that wraps up our suggestions for preparing to apply to Fletcher.  Next week, I’ll be back with the team’s thoughts on how to prepare for making a decision in April.