I sent the following message to Fletcher administrators, staff and students yesterday, and wanted to share with all of you to whom I’m also deeply grateful.  It is a lifelong endeavor to truly “know the world,” and it has been a pleasure sharing these insights and experiences with you – and hearing from many of you along the way!  Continue to be curious about our interconnected world, to keep asking questions and building bridges.  Thank you for your support throughout this incredible journey and, as always, thanks for reading.

Dear All,

The time has come to write you on a final occasion as Dean of The Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy.  As a proud Fletcher alum, it has been the honor of a lifetime to lead the School these last five years. I’ve savored every moment, and I’m grateful to each of you for making this experience so memorable.

While there is much to be proud of and much that I will miss, the thing that makes me the happiest as I look back on our five years together is knowing that I’ve been the dean through the graduations of 1500 former students who are now out in the world serving others – because a life of service is a life that matters.  That’s what we are all about here at Fletcher.

I want to sincerely thank each of you for your service to our School day in and day out. I commend you for your unwavering support to our students and each other; for your grace under pressure and your resourcefulness; for your thoughtful approach and compassionate nature; for your excellence and exuberance.  We’ve had many triumphs and challenges over the years, and what remains consistent is that the Fletcher community leans in at all times.  You get the job done, and you get it done well, without losing sight of our mission or humanity. 

Fletcher will be in good hands with Professor of International Law Ian Johnstone at the helm, who will help lead the school in wonderful ways as interim dean while the search for our next dean unfolds.  Thank you for your patience and continued dedication during this transition. And I must extend a huge thank you to our fearless Executive Associate Dean – as I always say, deans come and go, but Jerry Sheehan is running this place.

It has been a privilege serving as your dean, and I will miss you.  You can be sure I’ll see you at the annual clambake, as well as a variety of other alumni events.  Fletcher is a part of my DNA and I will be a lifelong friend to our dear School.  

To my colleagues, my friends, I wish you smooth sailing always, and look forward to our paths crossing again.  Thank you for a terrific five years.

All the best,
Jim