This has been a week of ups and downs. It often seems like that, of late.

The current state of geopolitics and the general everyday grind means we have serious issues to face (see: my conversation with Maria Bartiromo on Fox Business on the latest war of words between President Trump and North Korean dictator Kim Jong-un, and the need for new, creative ideas to get us out of this downward spiral).

But thankfully, it also means these darker moments are punctuated by exciting times and new beginnings (see: Fletcher’s uplifting Convocation ceremony that took place a mere two weeks ago.)

In the past month we’ve seen natural disasters that have wreaked havoc in the southern U.S., the Caribbean, and Mexico in the form of unrelenting hurricanes (Harvey, Irma, Marie, and Jose) and now, a devastating earthquake. Our hearts, thoughts, and actions go out to those affected by these terrible events.

But I prefer to focus on action and what can be done. To that point, I wrote an op-ed for TIME Magazine about the role our U.S. military apparatus can (and does) play in helping to alleviate some of the pain and suffering in these areas by helping to lead disaster-relief efforts.

Following Hurricane Irma thousands of sailors and Marines joined the Coast Guard as Florida National Guard and Army troops engaged across the state and the Caribbean. The massive hospital ship U.S.N.S. along with high-speed catamarans, Navy and Air Force military construction units, portable generators and communications systems, deployable command-and-control centers, all types of aircraft and plenty more military capabilities were all ready, standing in reserve for the moment when they would be called to launch into action.

I’ve said it many times, and I’ll say it again: We, as the U.S. military, are known-for, and very good at launching missiles, but we can “launch angels” as well.

And to return to the idea of happy moments and new beginnings, I’d like to leave you this week with a personal note of happiness to share: This past Sunday afternoon, we welcomed my second grandchild – and first grandson! – Ronan Alton David Wallace to the world. He arrived, kicking and screaming, on Sunday afternoon at a healthy 7 pounds and 20 inches. My daughter Julia and her husband Scott, and of course proud grandparents, Laura and I, could not be more thrilled; it’s moments like these that remind us the future is still bright.