“It could have been so much worse.” The global financial crisis of 2008, that is.
That is the premise of Professor Daniel Drezner’s new book: The System Worked: How the World Stopped Another Great Depression.
For my June video report from Fletcher, I interview Dan — one of our most prolific faculty members, between his many books, his new blog for the Washington Post, his former blog at Foreign Policy, his Twitter feed and myriad other published works — about this and many other exciting initiatives he’s involved in at the School.
For example, he also convened the recent Ideas Industry: Is the Academy Needed or Wanted? conference. It was a terrific daylong event that brought together academics, the press and public intellectuals to discuss the shifting role of the academy in today’s new media landscape.
In the video, I also give a short recap of our most recent travels to the Tufts’ campus in Talloires, France, for the annual Fletcher Symposium, where I was joined by General Sir Alexander Richard David Shirreff, who until this past March was the Deputy Supreme Allied Commander at NATO, and alumnus Charles Dallara, who helped to negotiate to save the euro during his time at the Institute of International Finance.
Thanks as always for watching.
Dean Stavridis with his basset hound, Lilly.
Dean James Stavridis is the 12th leader of The Fletcher School since its founding in 1933. A retired Admiral in the U.S. Navy, he led the NATO Alliance in global operations from 2009 to 2013 as Supreme Allied Commander.
- Navigating Choppy Seas February 17, 2017
- Preserving Truth in Journalism February 10, 2017
- Testing Our Principles February 3, 2017
- Foreign-Policy Challenges Bearing Down on Trump Administration January 29, 2017
- From Crisis to Calling: A Conversation with Sasha Chanoff (F04) January 19, 2017
- A Busy Week on Capitol Hill January 13, 2017
- A Conversation with Prof. Elizabeth Prodromou January 6, 2017
- Sanctioning Russia January 4, 2017
- Moving Forward in a Precarious World December 28, 2016
- Waiting to Act Can Hurt Us All December 16, 2016