The 2014 Commencement celebration at Tufts’ Fletcher School was special to me for many reasons. It was my first Fletcher graduation as Dean, and I was thrilled to be surrounded by my fellow alumni in rejoicing in the many blessings of this institution.
Friends young and old returned to Medford to welcome our newest graduates. Friends like Peggy Kirby, Class of 1937, Fletcher’s oldest alum who is 100 years young. Friends like the Class of 1964, who boldly reaffirmed their commitment to Fletcher’s mission by achieving the highest percentage of giving of any class. Friends like Hila Hanif and Andrea Walther, who returned to celebrate their 5th reunion with the Class of 2009—the largest reunion class returning to Fletcher. And accomplished friends like Dev Sanyal, the newest member of our Board of Advisors.
And we made new friends as well. Like little Erietta, who took the stage with her father, Symeon Tegos, to accept his Fletcher diploma.
Throughout the weekend, I was reminded of my own Commencement 30 years ago, which started me on a fantastic journey to nearly every corner of the globe and back again to Medford — guided by the knowledge of the world, knowledge of self, and amazing lifelong friendships that I earned at Fletcher.
I’ve assembled some of my favorite moments from the weekend to share with you. I hope you enjoy it.
Dean Stavridis with his basset hound, Lilly.
Dean James Stavridis is the 12th leader of The Fletcher School since its founding in 1933. A retired Admiral in the U.S. Navy, he led the NATO Alliance in global operations from 2009 to 2013 as Supreme Allied Commander.
- From Crisis to Calling: A Conversation with Sasha Chanoff (F04) January 19, 2017
- A Busy Week on Capitol Hill January 13, 2017
- A Conversation with Prof. Elizabeth Prodromou January 6, 2017
- Sanctioning Russia January 4, 2017
- Moving Forward in a Precarious World December 28, 2016
- Waiting to Act Can Hurt Us All December 16, 2016
- A Continued Case for NATO as a Force for Global Stability December 8, 2016
- What a Death in Cuba Means for U.S. Foreign Policy December 2, 2016
- In Gratitude November 24, 2016
- Decoding Donald Trump’s Foreign Policy November 20, 2016