The 2014 Commencement celebration at Tufts’ Fletcher School was special to me for many reasons. It was my first Fletcher graduation as Dean, and I was thrilled to be surrounded by my fellow alumni in rejoicing in the many blessings of this institution.

Dean Stavridis and Symeon Tegos and his daugher, Erietta

Dean Stavridis and Symeon Tegos and his daughter, Erietta

Friends young and old returned to Medford to welcome our newest graduates. Friends like Peggy Kirby, Class of 1937, Fletcher’s oldest alum who is 100 years young.  Friends like the Class of 1964, who boldly reaffirmed their commitment to Fletcher’s mission by achieving the highest percentage of giving of any class. Friends like Hila Hanif and Andrea Walther, who returned to celebrate their 5th reunion with the Class of 2009—the largest reunion class returning to Fletcher. And accomplished friends like Dev Sanyal, the newest member of our Board of Advisors.

And we made new friends as well. Like little Erietta, who took the stage with her father, Symeon Tegos, to accept his Fletcher diploma.

Throughout the weekend, I was reminded of my own Commencement 30 years ago, which started me on a fantastic journey to nearly every corner of the globe and back again to Medford — guided by the knowledge of the world, knowledge of self, and amazing lifelong friendships that I earned at Fletcher.

I’ve assembled some of my favorite moments from the weekend to share with you. I hope you enjoy it.