We’ve just wrapped up an incredible program with members of the Foreign Service of India, who joined us for an intensive one-week leadership program in advanced diplomacy.
I was fortunate to have the opportunity to speak with the 27 experienced diplomats who were part of the program. We discussed the topic of leadership, and I shared my thoughts on the importance of innovation, communication, and collaboration–essential skills for 21st century leaders. In addition, we discussed some of the greatest challenges to peace and security in this century, from nuclear proliferation and narcotics trafficking to cyber warfare.
During their week on campus, the diplomats also heard from top Fletcher faculty, alumni and friends on negotiations, media handling, digital diplomacy, emerging economic and security structures, law of the sea, organizational behavior, global energy trends, the art of persuasion, and global governance. A very special guest, the Ambassador of India to the United States S. Jaishankar, also joined us in Medford to address the group.
This is just one example of the many excellent diplomatic and executive education programs at The Fletcher School, including the annual Fletcher Summer Institute and Triplomacy Seminar that we’ll continue to offer in support of Fletcher’s mission to educate professionals from around the world and to prepare them for positions of leadership and influence in the national and international arenas. Stay tuned for information about more exciting opportunities like these.
Dean Stavridis with his basset hound, Lilly.
Dean James Stavridis is the 12th leader of The Fletcher School since its founding in 1933. A retired Admiral in the U.S. Navy, he led the NATO Alliance in global operations from 2009 to 2013 as Supreme Allied Commander.
- From Crisis to Calling: A Conversation with Sasha Chanoff (F04) January 19, 2017
- A Busy Week on Capitol Hill January 13, 2017
- A Conversation with Prof. Elizabeth Prodromou January 6, 2017
- Sanctioning Russia January 4, 2017
- Moving Forward in a Precarious World December 28, 2016
- Waiting to Act Can Hurt Us All December 16, 2016
- A Continued Case for NATO as a Force for Global Stability December 8, 2016
- What a Death in Cuba Means for U.S. Foreign Policy December 2, 2016
- In Gratitude November 24, 2016
- Decoding Donald Trump’s Foreign Policy November 20, 2016