One of my great joys as Dean of The Fletcher School is the fascinating conversations I get to have with our alumni around the world. This week, on the heels of her assignment at the UN General Assembly, I enjoyed a visit from Fletcher PhD Dr. Banafsheh Keynoush — interpreter for Iranian President Hassan Rouhani and three of his predecessors: Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, Mohammad Khatami and Akbar Rafsanjani.
“Behind every policy is a person,” says Dr. Keynoush.
Dr. Keynoush treated me to a wide ranging discussion about the delicate art of interpreting both words and culture, her early experiences as a professional woman in politics in Iran, her journey to Fletcher, and what she learned on a personal level in her work as the translator to four powerful world leaders.
I hope you enjoy the conversation as much as I did.
Dean Stavridis with his basset hound, Lilly.
Dean James Stavridis is the 12th leader of The Fletcher School since its founding in 1933. A retired Admiral in the U.S. Navy, he led the NATO Alliance in global operations from 2009 to 2013 as Supreme Allied Commander.
- My Latest OpEd in “Foreign Policy”: NATO Needs to Move Now on Crimea
- Google’s Eric Schmidt and Jared Cohen Discuss The Digital Future at Fletcher
- Gen. Stanley McChrystal Helps Kick Off Tufts 1+4 Bridge Program
- Fletcher in the World: US Naval Institute WEST 2014
- My Latest OpEd in “Foreign Policy”: The French Connection