One of my great joys as Dean of The Fletcher School is the fascinating conversations I get to have with our alumni around the world. This week, on the heels of her assignment at the UN General Assembly, I enjoyed a visit from Fletcher PhD Dr. Banafsheh Keynoush — interpreter for Iranian President Hassan Rouhani and three of his predecessors: Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, Mohammad Khatami and Akbar Rafsanjani.
“Behind every policy is a person,” says Dr. Keynoush.
Dr. Keynoush treated me to a wide ranging discussion about the delicate art of interpreting both words and culture, her early experiences as a professional woman in politics in Iran, her journey to Fletcher, and what she learned on a personal level in her work as the translator to four powerful world leaders.
I hope you enjoy the conversation as much as I did.
Dean Stavridis with his basset hound, Lilly.
Dean James Stavridis is the 12th leader of The Fletcher School since its founding in 1933. A retired Admiral in the U.S. Navy, he led the NATO Alliance in global operations from 2009 to 2013 as Supreme Allied Commander.
- Should NATO Respond To Downing Of Malaysia Flight 17?
- Great Summer Books for 2014
- The Panama Canal, Russia and More: Talking Foreign Policy with La Prensa
- Video Update: July 2014, My Interview with IBGC Executive Director Bhaskar Chakravorti
- Fletcher Welcomes Indian Foreign Service for Advanced Diplomatic Training