Just when you thought the Hermit Kingdom might return to its life of isolation, Kim Jong-un decided to carry out his latest intercontinental ballistic missile test. This time around, it was an entirely different kind of North Korean missile, flying 10 times higher than the International Space Station and, theoretically, putting the entire U.S. within range.

As I told NBC’s TODAY, I’m certain that the danger for the U.S. is greater today than before this launch. Each time Kim carries out a new test, he moves his goalposts further toward America.

This is like watching a slow-motion train wreck. If Kim detonates a hydrogen bomb over the Pacific Ocean, I’m not sure how we’ll avoid a boots-on-the-ground situation on the Korean Peninsula. And, unfortunately, I think that will be Kim’s next move. I shared my thoughts on the matter with Bloomberg radio this week.

The key to countering all of this (and most global security challenges) lies in working with our allies and partners – in this case, South Korea, Japan, and China.

That said, our strongest global partnership to date remains the United Kingdom – even after President Trump’s retweeting of anti-Islam videos originally posted by a British far-right fringe group. British Prime Minister Theresa May told reporters that “retweeting from Britain First was the wrong thing to do,” according to reports.

I couldn’t agree more. I’m currently ‘across the pond,’ talking to many British friends and colleagues, and there is a palpable sense of deep shock and offense at the President’s tweets. The negative reactions are real and come from across the spectrum of British politics. The website generating the tweets is regarded as racist, execrable and guilty of hate speech – a widely held view whether from the London cabbie who drove me from Heathrow, to the salesman at the shop, to the Dean of a college at Oxford. In and of itself, these tweets will not have a long-term impact – the bonds and common interests are too strong – but they continue to erode the quality of this “special relationship” and repulse our strongest ally.

If I were in government, I would point out that elections have consequences and that the tragedy of democracy is that, in the end, you elect the government you deserve. But, as I told The Cipher Brief, the ray of hope is that there are more elections to come that may unwind this situation. I would also emphasize the motto of ‘ignore the tweets’ that many in government are using. Instead, simply evaluate the actually policy choices, which are much more moderate. Not a good answer to our global partners, but the best one can say at the moment.

As always, thanks for reading.

Tagged with: