Regular readers will notice that last week I was in Talloires, France on the shores of Lake Annecy — a beautiful, blue-watered oasis nestled in the foot of the French Alps. This week lured me back across the Atlantic for a rather proud moment: the launch of my new book, Sea Power: The History and Geopolitcs of the World’s Oceans.

I spoke with Steve Inskeep of NPR’s Morning Edition about my inspiration for writing Sea Power, which aims to enmesh a sailor’s life at sea with the strategic impact of the oceans. I wanted to remind would-be readers that despite romantic notions of the seas, they are as key to today’s global politics as the continents and countries they surround.

That conversation with Steve is a powerful segway into the other conversations I had this week while discussing Sea Power. You see, while most discussions had very little direct mention of the seas and my recent tome, they very much focused on the turbulent tides we’re faring in the world of geopolitics.

Such was the case when I spoke with MSNBC’s Lawrence O’Donnell who recalled President Trump’s recent trip to NATO (which I also wrote about on this blog a few weeks ago) and his failure to embrace our best pool of partners in this watery-world.

The point I hope to make with this book is that the seas must be integral to how we think about world politics. They present challenges as we face the growing threat of terrorism. They are crucial to how we must prepare for threats from unstable nations, such as North Korea. They will force us to address issues of national security vis-à-vis our surveillance capabilities. They, like their physical presence, are everywhere in matters of geopolitics. It was an issue I discussed with the hosts of CNBC’s Squawk Box this week, which you can watch below.

In the end, as I say in the book, “The Sea is One.” By that, I mean it is all interconnected and as such, we are all interconnected. The sea evokes poetry and history, enables trade between nations, and presents geopolitical threats. These are themes that have ebbed and flowed throughout history, but have never fully receded. However, as the political tides grow more turbulent, it’s time for all hands on deck.