Here in the northeast, we’ve reached the dog days of summer. It’s hot, a little humid and attentions are mostly turned to finding the nearest lake, beachfront, or patio-equipped watering hole.

For most people, the furthest thing from their minds are the machinations of Washington D.C., the latest antics of the North Korean leader, or the trouble brewing south of the border, in Venezuela. But just because the calendar indicates it’s time to go on holiday, does not mean the world stops. We know it doesn’t. And so, between my own quiet attempts at a getaway this week, I spoke with Hugh Hewitt a few times, first on Saturday as he hosted MSNBC Live and later on his morning radio show.

Feel free to kick back and sip a lemonade while watching and listening to the stories below –we’ve done the hard work, so you don’t have to!

Conversations this week nearly all started off by talking about my good friend, General John Kelly, taking over as President Trump’s new Chief of Staff. We discussed the tack I expect he’ll take and the challenges he may face in his new role. Chief among them? Bringing order out of chaos to this White House.

I talked about some of these same issues with Tom Keene and David Gura of Bloomberg Surveillance Radio on Tuesday morning – including what Gen. Kelly might suggest President Trump read to learn a few leadership lessons. (Comments start at the 8 min and 17 second-mark.)

Keeping things light, we moved on to discussing North Korea, perhaps the most dangerous country in the world right now. Last Friday, Kim Jong-un conducted another intercontinental ballistic missile launch, bringing that regime closer to the point of no return. I think we’re down to about three options – one military, one diplomatic, and one deterrent. As I told Hugh, none are ideal, but I think we’ll land on option three.

Hugh and I had another opportunity to chat about world politics Wednesday morning. This time we touched on Venezuela, a country descending into what very well could turn into a civil war. Asked whether I thought this was an area where the U.S. should intervene, I shared my thoughts about what other, better, more diplomatic and soft power-options we might employ.

Finally, we had the opportunity to chat about an area I feel particularly passionately about, and that’s mentorship. As I told Hugh, mentorship is in the military’s DNA. We talked about how that gets done in the Navy, how it’s done between colleagues, and how Chief of Staff Gen. Kelly might be able to act as an effective mentor in his new role.

Now, I’m off to find my own lemonade…

As always, thanks for reading.