Recently, I was interviewed by El Mundo and on Bloomberg TV about the ongoing crisis in Ukraine. As I have said before, I am a strong supporter of sanctions against Putin and these sanctions should cut across all lines — defense, finance, and individually. Watch the video  and read an excerpt from the interview:

The commander of NATO from 2009 to 2013, James Stavridis, [does not remember] if NATO [ever saw such] a conflict that is taking place in Ukraine since February [when] Russia annexed Crimea [and then] began to stoke the separatism in the east of that country. This explanation may explain the response-some would say, rather, lack of response-West in crisis.

Admiral Stavridis, who is dean of the Fletcher School at Tufts University, believes that the U.S. and NATO should be more involved in the conflict and send military advisers to Ukraine.

During the four years that you were commander of the NATO Alliance, would you have considered the possibility of a conflict like the one now taking place in Ukraine?

NATO reviews its contingency plans, which cover a wide range of potential turbulence in the borders of the Alliance. However, I do not remember any scene in the style of a Russian invasion and annexation of territory of a NATO partner as Ukraine.

NATO Secretary General Anders Fogh Rasmussen and US President Barack Obama at the White House. Photo: NATO

NATO Secretary General Anders Fogh Rasmussen and US President Barack Obama at the White House, July 8 2014. Photo: NATO

What is the conflict? Can we call it a civil war?

I do not think it’s a civil war at all. For me, it has all the features of an insurgency funded, trained and supported from across the border. It is an invented, manufactured conflict, and Russia is pulling the strings.

Continue to read the article in Spanish
Published in Spanish, El Mundo, July 27, 2014
Translation above provided by Google.com.