We are wrapping up the summer and looking forward to the new academic year which begins in just few weeks. Before campus is bustling with students again, I had the chance to sit down with Professor Eileen Babbitt, an expert in conflict negotiation and the Director of the International Negotiation and Conflict Resolution Program here at Fletcher.
We discussed her upcoming classes this year and also her work in the Middle East, particularly given the tension in much of the region. Currently, she is working on a conflict resolution project that evolved from a Fletcher seminar she taught in 2013, in which she invited Arab and Jewish citizens from Israel to come to the US for several days and discuss the challenges of peacemaking and human rights in the state of Israel.
We also discussed nominations for next year’s Fletcher Women’s Leadership Award (FWLA) — the deadline to submit is September 15. Last year, the award went to a terrific alumna, Connie Schneider, F06, who used her law background and skills learned at Fletcher to make an impressive impact in both Afghanistan and Africa. We are looking forward to seeing who will be nominated for next year. If you know a deserving alumna who is mid-career and doing great work abroad or work with an international reach, please contact Tara.DiDomenico@tufts.edu for a nomination form.
That’s all for this month, enjoy the rest of your summer, and we will see you in the fall!
Dean Stavridis with his basset hound, Lilly.
Dean James Stavridis is the 12th leader of The Fletcher School since its founding in 1933. A retired Admiral in the U.S. Navy, he led the NATO Alliance in global operations from 2009 to 2013 as Supreme Allied Commander.
- From Crisis to Calling: A Conversation with Sasha Chanoff (F04) January 19, 2017
- A Busy Week on Capitol Hill January 13, 2017
- A Conversation with Prof. Elizabeth Prodromou January 6, 2017
- Sanctioning Russia January 4, 2017
- Moving Forward in a Precarious World December 28, 2016
- Waiting to Act Can Hurt Us All December 16, 2016
- A Continued Case for NATO as a Force for Global Stability December 8, 2016
- What a Death in Cuba Means for U.S. Foreign Policy December 2, 2016
- In Gratitude November 24, 2016
- Decoding Donald Trump’s Foreign Policy November 20, 2016