Today, I’m speaking to you from the Ginn Library. This was one of my favorites places to come when I was studying for my P.h.D, almost 30 years ago! Perhaps it was your favorite, too.
This month I have a lot of exciting announcements to punctuate a very busy end-of-semester season at Fletcher: the first virtual book club event for the global Fletcher community, the launch of a new student-run academic journal, and two very exciting visitors coming in 2014. Please watch:
Here is a snapshot of just a few events we are looking forward to:
- Best-selling author and geopolitical analyst Robert D. Kaplan will participate in a discussion of his latest book, “The Revenge of Geography: What the Map Tells Us About Coming Conflicts and the Battle Against Fate” on Thursday, January 23, 2014. The event will be live-streamed at: http://fletcher.tufts.edu/book-club. Instructions for submitting questions via social media will follow.
- Dr. Mowaffak Baker al Rubaie a distinguished Iraqi statesman and policymaker and former national security advisor, will join us in early 2014 as statesman-in-residence, engaging faculty and students in discussions around events in the region.
- In Fall 2014, Dr. Mohamed ElBaradei, director general emeritus of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) and co-recipient of the 2005 Nobel Peace Prize, will join Fletcher as Nobel-Laureate-in-Residence.
- A new student-led academic journal “The Fletcher Security Review,” will launch December 20, 2013 at www.FletcherSecurity.org.
Thanks for watching and see you next month!
Dean Stavridis with his basset hound, Lilly.
Dean James Stavridis is the 12th leader of The Fletcher School since its founding in 1933. A retired Admiral in the U.S. Navy, he led the NATO Alliance in global operations from 2009 to 2013 as Supreme Allied Commander.
- On Reading and Leading March 24, 2017
- Don’t Make Diplomacy the “Missing Man” in Our Foreign Policy Formation March 20, 2017
- Adapting to Today, Turning Towards Tomorrow March 10, 2017
- Don’t Increase Defense Spending on the Backs of Diplomacy and Development March 6, 2017
- A Guide to Getting U.S. Foreign Policy Back on Track February 24, 2017
- Navigating Choppy Seas February 17, 2017
- Preserving Truth in Journalism February 10, 2017
- Testing Our Principles February 3, 2017
- Foreign-Policy Challenges Bearing Down on Trump Administration January 29, 2017
- From Crisis to Calling: A Conversation with Sasha Chanoff (F04) January 19, 2017