For this month’s video report, I’m joined by Assistant Professor of Development Economics Jenny Aker for a discussion about her latest research into the use of mobile technologies to improve conditions for populations in developing regions of Sub-Saharan Africa. It’s fascinating, important work that also provides Fletcher students with opportunities to gain real world experience in developing regions while pursuing their Fletcher degree.
Finally, here’s a warm welcome to the 375 students returning from the annual Fletcher ski trip to Maine. They had a great time, not only downhill skiing, but also snowshoeing, skating and cross country skiing. It’s a wonderful tradition and a great way to break back into the second semester.
For those of you in the DC area, I hope to see you at the School’s annual DC Career Trip and Student-Alumni Networking Event on February 20, 2014.
Thanks for watching and we’ll see you next month!
Dean Stavridis with his basset hound, Lilly.
Dean James Stavridis is the 12th leader of The Fletcher School since its founding in 1933. A retired Admiral in the U.S. Navy, he led the NATO Alliance in global operations from 2009 to 2013 as Supreme Allied Commander.
- Video Update: My Interview with Leila Fawaz on Her Book “A Land of Aching Hearts”
- Washington Post Op-Ed: Defending Italy from the Islamic State
- Brutal Techniques Part of ISIS’ Recruitment Strategy, Attempts to Provoke Regional Ground War
- ISIS Threatens Rome: My Interviews with CNN, MSNBC and Bloomberg
- Announcing The Fletcher School’s Five Year Strategic Plan