Last night, it was our great pleasure to welcome President Toomas Hendrik Ilves of the Republic of Estonia to The Fletcher School at Tufts University.
President Ilves and Ambassador of Estonia Marina Kaljurand (Fletcher alumnae: MALD ’95) were met with warm greetings by Tufts President Anthony Monaco, before an engaging discussion about Estonia’s remarkable transformation over the past two decades and its contributions to the prosperity and security of the region.
Before concluding the evening, I took the opportunity to interview President Ilves—an internationally recognized expert in cyber and information technology—in more detail about the economy and defense spending, the country’s strong support of NATO, and the role of cyber in the future of global security.
I look forward to sharing video from my interview with President Ilves, links to his upcoming lecture to the Fletcher and Tufts community, and my upcoming OpEd on cyber in future posts.
Dean Stavridis with his basset hound, Lilly.
Dean James Stavridis is the 12th leader of The Fletcher School since its founding in 1933. A retired Admiral in the U.S. Navy, he led the NATO Alliance in global operations from 2009 to 2013 as Supreme Allied Commander.
- Dean’s Video: December 2014: Year in Review
- In Memoriam: Alfred P. Rubin
- That Pivotal Moment I Chose Fletcher: The Washington Times Reviews “The Accidental Admiral”
- A Few Words of Advice for Ashton Carter, Obama’s Pick for Secretary of Defense
- Responding to Tuesday’s Attacks in Israel: My Interview with Lou Dobbs