Many people assume that just because I’m in the health field, that I must follow the healthiest lifestyle there is.  I have seen countless bags of chips or candy disappear under a desk when I walk in a room!

Well, let me break the spell. I’m human. While I love learning about health and wellness and helping others adopt healthier habits, I’m not always perfect and following my own advice. Admittedly, my fridge is stocked with fruits and veggies, I avoid fast food and I’m pretty fond of yoga, but there are some things I could be doing better.

So, why am I doing this?

1. We all know the basics to staying healthy: eat right, move more, manage stress, etc. It’s one thing to know what you should be doing, but another to know how. I hope by recording my experiences I can help with the “how to”.

2. I want to practice what I preach. I do believe in modeling the behaviors I hope others will adopt.

3. I have a family history of heart disease, cancer, and other chronic health conditions. I need to prevent/slow/reverse what genetics may have in store for me down the road.

4. I need to step out of my comfort zone and try new things. We all get in a rut, with routines, foods, exercise, etc.

I hope this blog will guide and motivate those who are also embarking on New Years Resolutions.  I’ll be posting my experience, along with resource and tools several times a week from now until the end of February 2013.

Will you join me?