Blog 4

The other day I went to Tisch Library to try to get some homework done, but I found that there were no tables available with good lighting. I find that without proper lighting it can be extremely difficult to get work done. Lights need to be bright enough to keep workers awake, but not so bright that they produce a glare. As shown in the table below, a few things can be done to reduce glare from different light sources. Desks can be oriented so that the light doesn’t directly hit a computer screen, windows can be tinted, and artificial lights can be covered with shades (Eastman Kodak Company, & Kodak Limited, 2004).

Table of ways to reduce glare from different light sources.
Source: Eastman Kodak Company, & Kodak Limited. (2004)

Employers also must pay attention to the type of lighting they include in their offices. Fluorescent lighting is “inferior because it can cause eye strain,” so incandescent lighting is a much better option (Vollmart, 1991). Better still, is natural lighting. Studies show that there is a “positive relationship between natural light and worker productivity and satisfaction” (Sullivan & Horowitz-Bennett, 2014). This same article also mentions that daylight has “positive effects on alertness, regulating the body’s circadian rhythm, and minimizing eyestrain and headaches.” For me personally, being exposed to natural light is very important. I become unhappy when I am unable to see outside, so I predict that when  I work for a company light will greatly effect my satisfaction with my job.

Workstation layout so that workers are next to a natural light source while avoiding glare effects.

References

Eastman Kodak Company, & Kodak Limited. (2004). Kodak’s ergonomic design for people at work (2nd ed.). Hoboken, NJ: Wiley.

Sullivan, C., & Horowitz-Bennett, B. (2014). Workplace design trends: Make way for the Millennials. Building Deign and Construction.

Vollmart, S. (1991). Trends in Lighting and Work Stations. The Office, 114(6), 14.

2 thoughts on “Blog 4

1. This points out a really commonly overlooked aspect of design that can effect health and thought patterns. I’d also think about how light factors into the design of dorm rooms and living spaces on campus. Light design can really decide how we use spaces: how long we stay, what we do there, how efficiently or thoughtfully we do those things. Nice analysis!

2. I think lighting has a great affect on work spaces and people’s ability to be successful in their work. For example, I really like going to the library to do my work because it makes me feel studious but after a while the fluorescent lighting really starts to get to me. Natural lighting is definitely the best work environment and I don’t think you can get enough of it anywhere in the North East. Being from California it greatly affects me every time we have overcast weather, as I am used to it being sunny everyday.