Blog 8

This past weekend I went home and while there I cooked a lot. I made similar meals to the ones I make at my kitchen at school, yet I was able to complete the cooking much faster and I was less tired after finishing the job. I believe this occurred because of the design of my kitchen at home. The kitchen is one of the most important parts of the home, and in designing it there are many things to take into consideration. Below I have outlined some of the key design elements that should be thought of when creating a kitchen. 

Flooring
Cooking is practically always done while standing, so having a comfortable surface to stand on is crucial. Instead of installing extremely hard floors, such as stone or ceramic tile, floors with some bounce, such as wood, cork, or bamboo should be used. If very hard flooding is already installed in a kitchen a cheaper solution would be to add mats to areas where the cook stands a lot.

The above image shows the proper posture for working at a counter.
Source: Patil, A., & Rajhans, N. (2018). Ideal Posture,
https://link.springer.com/content/pdf/10.1007%2F978-3-319-60828-0_29.pdf

Counter Height
Customizing the counter height in a kitchen will have an impact on how the body feels every day. Jatinder, Puja, and Aruna state: “height of kitchen work surfaces and storage spaces should be given careful attention thereby minimizing stress on cardio-vascular, muscular and respiratory system” (2017). If a counter is the incorrect hight for ones body they will be forced to cook while hunched over, thus taxing neck, shoulder, and lower back muscles (Patil & Rajhans, 2018). To the left is an image of the ideal posture for working at a counter.
One issue with customizing counter heights is that multiple people of multiple sizes could be living in a house and using a kitchen. My solution for this problem would be to install counters at varying heights. The kitchen island could be either taller or shorter than the rest of the other counters.

References

Jatinder, K., Puja, M., & Aruna, R. (2017) Ergonomic Evaluation of Kitchen Work with Reference to Space Designing. Journal of Human Ecology, 21, 43-46.

Patil, A., & Rajhans, N. (2018) Human Factors in Designing Workspace: Customizing Kitchen Counter Design. Advances in Social & Occupational Ergonomics, 286-294.

3 thoughts on “Blog 8

1. I think what you said about counter height is really interesting. I can definitely see how it would be really uncomfortable to work at a counter that was too high or too low when you consider things like the angle of your arms. How different is the height of your counters at home from the height of the counters in you dorm? Unfortunately because of the way kitchen counters and cabinets are designed it is really hard to customize the height even if you are building a new kitchen, but I can imagine having an area where you do the majority of prep work that has an adjustable height just like a lot of standing desks.

2. While I cannot put my finger on what makes my kitchen at home better, I completely agree that cooking at your true home is way better. I think the idea of wood floor versus ceramic may have a big deal to do with my comfort seeming I have feet problems and normally cook without shoes on. Another key ingredient I think is the kitchen is laid out basically by a professional. We have little to no experience in laying out a kitchen compared to our parents who have done it for years.

3. WHen at the beginning of the semester we did the lab making spaghetti, I realized how big an influence kitchen settings, of tools, condiments and furniture height, would have on the efficiency and the comfort of the cooking task. The points you mentioned are really informative and I think I was able to better understand the connection between designs and cooking. Weirdly I feel like the kitchen in our dorm works better for me comparing to the kitchen at home. Maybe some renovation is needed back home 🙂