Finishing up our month of honoring African-American Tufts graduates is a 1962 graduate who has gone on to be a leader in medical education and promoting minority opportunities in the field.
Donald E. Wilson (M’62, H’08) is Director of the Program in Minority Health and Health Disparities Education and Research, former Dean, and Professor of Medicine at the University of Maryland School Of Medicine. Among Dr. Wilson’s many accomplishments, his becoming Dean of University of Maryland School Of Medicine is especially significant, as he became the nation’s first African-American dean at a predominantly white medical school. Dr. Wilson, “increased the diversity of the student body and quadrupled the number of minority faculty” during his tenure as dean. According to Dr. Wilson, “All I did is level the playing field. All of a sudden, we started finding more qualified people of color.”
Image: Howard University News Room accessed February 26, 2013 from http://www.howard.edu/newsroom/releases/2009/091016wilson.htm
Tags4th floor african american history book review books book talk celebration circulation congratulations data databases dental electronic resource electronic resources events extended hours facebook food graduation HHSL hhsl event Hirsh Health Sciences Library holidays hours ILLiad Interlibrary Loan library service desk library staff lunch match day medical school mobile apps new books open access open workshop portals recipes resources restaurant review social media staff summer TUSM Under10 website Women's History Month
Follow Us on Twitter!
- RT @nytimesscience: Books: When art becomes entangled in nature http://t.co/EUS4k65Rr4 about 3 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @nytimesscience: What's been gained from years and millions of $$ in stem cell research? @kweintraub reports: http://t.co/SbvFEv6nNX about 4 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Returning to Higher Ed Library Social Friday 9/19 | What's New @ HHSL http://t.co/mfCcxGtVEt about 9 hours ago from Bitly ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @Reuters_Health: Parents' whooping cough vaccines may protect babies http://t.co/bHYcf5JlZx 04:49:01 PM September 15, 2014 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @sciencemagazine: The Haitian govt has unveiled an ambitious plan to eradicate cholera w/i 10 yrs http://t.co/fI82T5qAKs #globalhealth … 02:58:27 PM September 15, 2014 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @NPRHealth: Philip Morris Sues Uruguay Over Graphic Cigarette Packaging http://t.co/cKv8a8PfE9 09:00:42 AM September 15, 2014 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
Tufts HHSL on Facebook