Finishing up our month of honoring African-American Tufts graduates is a 1962 graduate who has gone on to be a leader in medical education and promoting minority opportunities in the field.
Donald E. Wilson (M’62, H’08) is Director of the Program in Minority Health and Health Disparities Education and Research, former Dean, and Professor of Medicine at the University of Maryland School Of Medicine. Among Dr. Wilson’s many accomplishments, his becoming Dean of University of Maryland School Of Medicine is especially significant, as he became the nation’s first African-American dean at a predominantly white medical school. Dr. Wilson, “increased the diversity of the student body and quadrupled the number of minority faculty” during his tenure as dean. According to Dr. Wilson, “All I did is level the playing field. All of a sudden, we started finding more qualified people of color.”
Image: Howard University News Room accessed February 26, 2013 from http://www.howard.edu/newsroom/releases/2009/091016wilson.htm
Tags4th floor 6th floor Ask Leo book review book talk celebration circulation congratulations copyright databases dental electronic resource electronic resources events extended hours food fun lab graduation HHSL hhsl event Hirsh Health Sciences Library holidays hours ILLiad Interlibrary Loan library service desk library staff lunch new books open access open access week open workshop portals publishing recipes resources restaurant review staff statistics summer Tufts Hirsh Health Sciences Library TUSM Under10 website Women's History Month
Follow Us on Twitter!
- RT @BostonGlobe: Officials are warning people to keep off frozen Charles River http://t.co/PwLg00RtTw http://t.co/Np18JNsKhD about 16 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @nytimeshealth: The final tally is in. Here are the sounds you find most annoying. http://t.co/tGtnBWbHy4 03:55:45 PM March 03, 2015 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Give your brain a break with puzzles & games every Tuesday at the Circ Desk! | What's New @ HHSL http://t.co/RYn7EUqy9v 11:33:43 AM March 03, 2015 from Bitly ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @WSJThinkTank: Americans spent $116B related to cancer in 2010. Drew Altman on breaking down health spending: http://t.co/MbHz1mxrks htt… 09:24:35 AM March 03, 2015 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @nprnews: 1/3 of respondents who are low income say lack of $$ has harmful effect on health. @NPRHealth http://t.co/L0Iun2mmPa http://t.… 03:36:49 PM March 02, 2015 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @TheAtlanticHLTH: Why don't convenience stores sell better food? http://t.co/VMdhb6ZeD5 10:40:47 AM March 02, 2015 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
Tufts HHSL on Facebook