Finishing up our month of honoring African-American Tufts graduates is a 1962 graduate who has gone on to be a leader in medical education and promoting minority opportunities in the field.
Donald E. Wilson (M’62, H’08) is Director of the Program in Minority Health and Health Disparities Education and Research, former Dean, and Professor of Medicine at the University of Maryland School Of Medicine. Among Dr. Wilson’s many accomplishments, his becoming Dean of University of Maryland School Of Medicine is especially significant, as he became the nation’s first African-American dean at a predominantly white medical school. Dr. Wilson, “increased the diversity of the student body and quadrupled the number of minority faculty” during his tenure as dean. According to Dr. Wilson, “All I did is level the playing field. All of a sudden, we started finding more qualified people of color.”
Image: Howard University News Room accessed February 26, 2013 from http://www.howard.edu/newsroom/releases/2009/091016wilson.htm
- No categories
Follow Us on Twitter!
- We have special hours for Memorial Day Monday! http://t.co/kodf9bStpI about 9 hours ago from Facebook ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @nprnews: Sick Inmates Dying Behind Bars Despite Release Program http://t.co/NoNJI0YOYG about 13 hours ago from HootSuite ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @TuftsUniversity: Meet the 2013-2014 Albert Schweitzer Fellows working on the health of underserved communities across the U.S. http://t… about 14 hours ago from HootSuite ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Reminder! The 6th floor of the HHSL will be closed starting TOMORROW, May 23rd through June. 03:11:58 PM May 22, 2013 from Facebook ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @ADANews: June 3 webinar eyes oral health care for pregnant women http://t.co/qgJU1zcc6s 03:10:14 PM May 22, 2013 from HootSuite ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @tuftsctsi: What is linear and #logisticregression & when should you use it? Find out 5/31 @ #tuftsctsi #researchdesign seminar: http://… 03:09:44 PM May 22, 2013 from HootSuite ReplyRetweetFavorite
Tufts HHSL on Facebook