Finishing up our month of honoring African-American Tufts graduates is a 1962 graduate who has gone on to be a leader in medical education and promoting minority opportunities in the field.
Donald E. Wilson (M’62, H’08) is Director of the Program in Minority Health and Health Disparities Education and Research, former Dean, and Professor of Medicine at the University of Maryland School Of Medicine. Among Dr. Wilson’s many accomplishments, his becoming Dean of University of Maryland School Of Medicine is especially significant, as he became the nation’s first African-American dean at a predominantly white medical school. Dr. Wilson, “increased the diversity of the student body and quadrupled the number of minority faculty” during his tenure as dean. According to Dr. Wilson, “All I did is level the playing field. All of a sudden, we started finding more qualified people of color.”
Image: Howard University News Room accessed February 26, 2013 from http://www.howard.edu/newsroom/releases/2009/091016wilson.htm
Tags4th floor african american history Ask Leo book review book talk celebration circulation congratulations copyright databases electronic resource electronic resources events extended hours facebook food graduation HHSL hhsl event Hirsh Health Sciences Library holidays hours ILLiad Interlibrary Loan library service desk library staff lunch medical school mobile apps new books open access open access week open workshop portals publishing recipes resources restaurant review social media staff summer TUSM Under10 website Women's History Month
Follow Us on Twitter!
- RT @NatGeo: Friday Fact: You can see autumn leaves from Space. 04:31:55 PM October 24, 2014 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Meet the newest member of our Circulation staff! http://t.co/aFNBeEpPoj 03:56:14 PM October 24, 2014 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- This mysterious masked feline has delivered a hoard of gourds! Stop by the 4th flr desk from 3-4pm to decorate one! http://t.co/phddFtAjwZ 12:51:48 PM October 24, 2014 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @TuftsMedicalCtr: See, Test & Treat to provide free #breastcancer & #cervicalcancer screenings to uninsured, underserved women TOMORROW … 12:19:43 PM October 24, 2014 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Congrats! RT @sweetfoodie How Doing Dishes Can Help You Lose Weight - my first article for the Huffington Post!... http://t.co/ZTocI3teSt 11:06:40 AM October 24, 2014 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Guest post by Judy Rabinowitz: Open vs. Public Access: What's the Difference? | What's New @ HHSL http://t.co/RDw9YX9cJ3 #OpenAccessWeek2014 10:05:08 AM October 24, 2014 from Bitly ReplyRetweetFavorite
Tufts HHSL on Facebook