Finishing up our month of honoring African-American Tufts graduates is a 1962 graduate who has gone on to be a leader in medical education and promoting minority opportunities in the field.
Donald E. Wilson (M’62, H’08) is Director of the Program in Minority Health and Health Disparities Education and Research, former Dean, and Professor of Medicine at the University of Maryland School Of Medicine. Among Dr. Wilson’s many accomplishments, his becoming Dean of University of Maryland School Of Medicine is especially significant, as he became the nation’s first African-American dean at a predominantly white medical school. Dr. Wilson, “increased the diversity of the student body and quadrupled the number of minority faculty” during his tenure as dean. According to Dr. Wilson, “All I did is level the playing field. All of a sudden, we started finding more qualified people of color.”
Image: Howard University News Room accessed February 26, 2013 from http://www.howard.edu/newsroom/releases/2009/091016wilson.htm
Tags4th floor 5th floor affiliation book review circulation coffee copyright crafts databases electronic resource electronic resources events exams extended hours food fun fun lab HHSL Hirsh Health Sciences Library holiday holidays hours ILLiad Interlibrary Loan library service desk library staff lunch new books open access open access week open workshop portals recipes resources restaurant review staff statistics stress relief summer survey Thanksgiving therapy dogs Tufts Hirsh Health Sciences Library Under10 website
Follow Us on Twitter!
- RT @AAPHDnews: Teach Kids How Water Can Help Keep Their Mouths Healthy! https://t.co/jtnXKGTnau (Photo: Bill Hughes, AP) https://t.co/7PhHM… about 30 minutes ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @Teeth_Matter: Powerful images of toothbrushes from around the globe remind us that some families lack access to them https://t.co/QDtCi… about 30 minutes ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @mayoclinicsport: Childhood obesity is a major problem in the U.S. Teach your kids a healthy lifestyle from a young age: https://t.co/J1… about 1 hour ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @sciam: Scientists have concocted mental fitness regimens to strengthen weak thinking skills in students—in effect, m... https://t.co/E3… about 1 hour ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Hospitals aim to stop vote on how they’re paid https://t.co/sjJuPEX8ft via @BostonGlobe about 2 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @scifri: Speaking of #TBT... why do we get nostalgic, anyway? https://t.co/SftDskKPT9 https://t.co/0ULAXPQIT6 about 19 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
Tufts HHSL on Facebook