Finishing up our month of honoring African-American Tufts graduates is a 1962 graduate who has gone on to be a leader in medical education and promoting minority opportunities in the field.
Donald E. Wilson (M’62, H’08) is Director of the Program in Minority Health and Health Disparities Education and Research, former Dean, and Professor of Medicine at the University of Maryland School Of Medicine. Among Dr. Wilson’s many accomplishments, his becoming Dean of University of Maryland School Of Medicine is especially significant, as he became the nation’s first African-American dean at a predominantly white medical school. Dr. Wilson, “increased the diversity of the student body and quadrupled the number of minority faculty” during his tenure as dean. According to Dr. Wilson, “All I did is level the playing field. All of a sudden, we started finding more qualified people of color.”
Image: Howard University News Room accessed February 26, 2013 from http://www.howard.edu/newsroom/releases/2009/091016wilson.htm
Tags4th floor 5th floor affiliation book review circulation coffee copyright crafts databases electronic resource electronic resources events exams extended hours food fun fun lab graduation HHSL Hirsh Health Sciences Library holiday holidays hours ILLiad Interlibrary Loan library service desk library staff lunch new books open access open access week open workshop portals recipes resources staff statistics stress relief summer survey Thanksgiving therapy dogs Tufts Hirsh Health Sciences Library Under10 website
Follow Us on Twitter!
- RT @bbchealth: Learning difficulties linked with winter conception https://t.co/Fh5WV39xxU about 3 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @NYTScience: Many people dislike the sound of bagpipes (not us! honest!). But they can even be hazardous--to the bagpipers https://t.co/… about 23 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- HHSL Special Collections Room Project | What's New @ HHSL https://t.co/EmQAVn4gV0 11:15:39 AM August 23, 2016 from Bitly ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @ClevelandClinic: Do you live in an older home? If you answered 'yes,' your kids might be at risk for #lead poisoning: https://t.co/72wf… 08:52:10 AM August 23, 2016 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @NYTScience: "You can’t build a wall or a net.” Miami confronts the arrival of Zika, and pregnant women are urged to stay away. https://… 03:34:07 PM August 22, 2016 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @TuftsUniversity: Psychology Professor Aniruddh Patel on @NPR's @drshow discussing how music can help patients recover: https://t.co/Ubk… 03:13:11 PM August 19, 2016 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
Tufts HHSL on Facebook