Finishing up our month of honoring African-American Tufts graduates is a 1962 graduate who has gone on to be a leader in medical education and promoting minority opportunities in the field.
Donald E. Wilson (M’62, H’08) is Director of the Program in Minority Health and Health Disparities Education and Research, former Dean, and Professor of Medicine at the University of Maryland School Of Medicine. Among Dr. Wilson’s many accomplishments, his becoming Dean of University of Maryland School Of Medicine is especially significant, as he became the nation’s first African-American dean at a predominantly white medical school. Dr. Wilson, “increased the diversity of the student body and quadrupled the number of minority faculty” during his tenure as dean. According to Dr. Wilson, “All I did is level the playing field. All of a sudden, we started finding more qualified people of color.”
Image: Howard University News Room accessed February 26, 2013 from http://www.howard.edu/newsroom/releases/2009/091016wilson.htm
Tags4th floor african american history book review books book talk celebration circulation congratulations data databases dental electronic resource electronic resources events extended hours facebook food graduation HHSL hhsl event Hirsh Health Sciences Library holidays hours ILLiad Interlibrary Loan library service desk library staff lunch match day medical school mobile apps new books open access open workshop portals recipes resources restaurant review social media staff summer TUSM Under10 website Women's History Month
Follow Us on Twitter!
- RT @nytimeshealth: Soda Makers Coca-Cola, PepsiCo and Dr Pepper Join in Effort to Cut Americans’ Drink Calories http://t.co/hsgfgNo8to about 1 hour ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @nprscience: Obama Lays Out Approach To Climate Change In U.N. Speech http://t.co/KtWvDi8Jet about 3 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- @danjayart We're looking forward to it! about 3 hours ago from Twitter Web Client in reply to danjayart ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Renovation Update: It’s almost ready! | What's New @ HHSL http://t.co/uXzUHbVwv7 about 6 hours ago from Bitly ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @NBCNewsHealth: Art's Healing Power: Can Hospital Collections Help? http://t.co/p3Kr57FeMP about 8 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Join Dr. Dan Jay at Aidkeman Arts Center 9/25 5-7:30PM for the opening of his art show "Archemy: Chemical Drawings" http://t.co/DOSZflRwaG 04:03:15 PM September 22, 2014 from Bitly ReplyRetweetFavorite
Tufts HHSL on Facebook