“A blank wall of social and professional antagonism.” Elizabeth Blackwell
Elizabeth Blackwell (b.1821 – d.1910), the first woman to receive a medical degree in the United States.
“I had not the slightest idea of the commotion created by my appearance as a medical student in the little town. Very slowly I perceived that a doctor’s wife at the table avoided any communication with me, and that as I walked backwards and forwards to college the ladies stopped to stare at me, as at a curious animal. I afterwards found that I had so shocked Geneva [New York] propriety that the theory was fully established either that I was a bad woman, whose designs would gradually become evident, or that, being insane, an outbreak of insanity would soon be apparent.”
In her own words: celebrating women in medicine
“If society will not admit of woman’s free development, then society must be remodeled.”
- Elizabeth Blackwell, the first woman to receive a medical degree in the United States
And remodel society they did! Throughout March, HHSL will be honoring 2013 Women’s History Month by presenting remarkable women in medicine according to their own words. We hope you find this series of posts illuminating and that you take a minute or two to learn more about their legacy.
Tags4th floor 6th floor african american history book review book talk celebration circulation congratulations copyright databases electronic resource electronic resources events extended hours facebook food graduation HHSL hhsl event Hirsh Health Sciences Library holidays hours ILLiad Interlibrary Loan library service desk library staff lunch mobile apps new books open access open access week open workshop portals publishing recipes resources restaurant review social media staff summer Tufts Hirsh Health Sciences Library TUSM Under10 website Women's History Month
Follow Us on Twitter!
- RT @PLOSONE: Happy Halloween! PLOS ONE’s Spookiest Images of 2014 http://t.co/ip8iYgwytG #EveryONE blog about 13 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @MassDental: Cash for Halloween candy! http://t.co/vBX1P2VJ23 about 13 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @scifri: Why do certain songs scare us? Find out today at 3p ET. http://t.co/aBPXe9fo8d #SpookySciFri http://t.co/MugJK6oXbO about 14 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @DailyScan: Eeek! RT @NewsfromScience: Happy #Halloween! Check out 7 of the creepiest science experiments http://t.co/VMoFEGZ9pm http://… about 16 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @dcatufts: Happy Halloween #tufts! Skeleton inspiration from 1910. http://t.co/ZFj2BnCP13 about 17 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @TuftsNutrition: The debate continues over a revised #FDA #nutritionlabel via @WashingtonPost: http://t.co/VHKxixVQnM #addedsugar #nutri… about 18 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
Tufts HHSL on Facebook