“A blank wall of social and professional antagonism.” Elizabeth Blackwell
Elizabeth Blackwell (b.1821 – d.1910), the first woman to receive a medical degree in the United States.
“I had not the slightest idea of the commotion created by my appearance as a medical student in the little town. Very slowly I perceived that a doctor’s wife at the table avoided any communication with me, and that as I walked backwards and forwards to college the ladies stopped to stare at me, as at a curious animal. I afterwards found that I had so shocked Geneva [New York] propriety that the theory was fully established either that I was a bad woman, whose designs would gradually become evident, or that, being insane, an outbreak of insanity would soon be apparent.”
In her own words: celebrating women in medicine
“If society will not admit of woman’s free development, then society must be remodeled.”
- Elizabeth Blackwell, the first woman to receive a medical degree in the United States
And remodel society they did! Throughout March, HHSL will be honoring 2013 Women’s History Month by presenting remarkable women in medicine according to their own words. We hope you find this series of posts illuminating and that you take a minute or two to learn more about their legacy.
Tags4th floor 6th floor Ask Leo book review book talk celebration circulation congratulations copyright databases dental eBooks electronic resource electronic resources events extended hours food fun lab graduation HHSL Hirsh Health Sciences Library holidays hours ILLiad Interlibrary Loan library service desk library staff lunch match day new books open access open access week open workshop portals publishing recipes resources restaurant review staff summer Tufts Hirsh Health Sciences Library TUSM Under10 website Women's History Month
Follow Us on Twitter!
- Printing is now available on the 4th floor of the library. Thanks for your patience! about 1 hour ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Printing on the 4th floor of the library is currently unavailable. Please print on the 5th floor of the library. Thank you! about 3 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @scifri: Today: The 'hellish' conditions that forged the building blocks of life, a punk rock frog, and other science stories. http://t.… about 4 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- 22% of native species under pressure | New England’s plants face significant threat, report says http://t.co/76NEKQJepp via @BostonGlobe about 5 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- We have extended hours this weekend! The Library Service Desk is open 10AM-10PM Saturday and Sunday. http://t.co/LuQaC8wqK5 about 5 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @LibraryJournal: RT @infodocket: New Issue Brief From #Ithaka: “Streamlining Access to Scholarly Resources” http://t.co/wQ0ybhRlrD #libr… about 7 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
Tufts HHSL on Facebook