“A blank wall of social and professional antagonism.” Elizabeth Blackwell
Elizabeth Blackwell (b.1821 – d.1910), the first woman to receive a medical degree in the United States.
“I had not the slightest idea of the commotion created by my appearance as a medical student in the little town. Very slowly I perceived that a doctor’s wife at the table avoided any communication with me, and that as I walked backwards and forwards to college the ladies stopped to stare at me, as at a curious animal. I afterwards found that I had so shocked Geneva [New York] propriety that the theory was fully established either that I was a bad woman, whose designs would gradually become evident, or that, being insane, an outbreak of insanity would soon be apparent.”
In her own words: celebrating women in medicine
“If society will not admit of woman’s free development, then society must be remodeled.”
- Elizabeth Blackwell, the first woman to receive a medical degree in the United States
And remodel society they did! Throughout March, HHSL will be honoring 2013 Women’s History Month by presenting remarkable women in medicine according to their own words. We hope you find this series of posts illuminating and that you take a minute or two to learn more about their legacy.
Tags4th floor african american history book review books book talk celebration circulation congratulations data databases dental electronic resource electronic resources events extended hours facebook food graduation HHSL hhsl event Hirsh Health Sciences Library holidays hours ILLiad Interlibrary Loan library service desk library staff lunch match day medical school mobile apps new books open access open workshop portals recipes resources restaurant review social media staff summer TUSM Under10 website Women's History Month
Follow Us on Twitter!
- Join us for a book talk Fri 9/5 at 12pm in SK604. Dr John Kulig will discuss a new book about the Floating Hospital! http://t.co/agpfxmZXmI about 15 hours ago from Bitly ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @sciam: How Hot Was Summer 2014? http://t.co/CV7uaHgAQq 11:34:36 AM August 30, 2014 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @NatGeo: Photos: Ireland's most picture-perfect spots http://t.co/gnX88x29bD 11:32:27 AM August 30, 2014 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @tuftsctsi: Applying for #PCORI funding? The deadline for letters of intent is one week from today! Get info & help here: http://t.co/dR… 03:02:48 PM August 29, 2014 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @HealthyBoston: The 1010 Mass Ave #Farmstand is open TODAY 1130-2. Farm-fresh veggies! Info at http://t.co/6TiHJRKsA3 http://t.co/yURFcm… 09:12:30 AM August 29, 2014 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Please note that we have reduced hours on Monday, September 1st for Labor day. The library service desk will be open from 12pm-7pm. 09:05:52 AM August 29, 2014 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
Tufts HHSL on Facebook