“But does it really work?” In our sound-bite saturated news media, it’s difficult to discern which health studies demonstrate effectiveness and which studies do not. How do we know when medical news is evidence worth paying attention to – or – when it is just ‘print noise’?
PubMed Health is a service of the U.S. National Library of Medicine that was designed to help consumers and clinicians answer the question, “what works?” PubMed Health “specializes in reviews of clinical effectiveness research, with easy-to-read summaries for consumers as well as full technical reports.” It provides information on how to assess the research results as well as how to read health news.
One of the most valuable features of PubMed Health is “Behind the Headlines,” a joint project of the National Health Service and the U.S. National Library of Medicine. “Behind the Headlines” evaluates current medical news for accuracy and also describes how medical news stories come to acquire their “spin”.
Check out PubMed Health – it works!
Tags4th floor 6th floor Ask Leo book review book talk celebration circulation congratulations copyright databases dental electronic resource electronic resources events extended hours food fun lab graduation HHSL hhsl event Hirsh Health Sciences Library holidays hours ILLiad Interlibrary Loan library service desk library staff lunch new books open access open access week open workshop portals publishing recipes resources restaurant review staff statistics summer Tufts Hirsh Health Sciences Library TUSM Under10 website Women's History Month
Follow Us on Twitter!
- RT @nprnews: 1/3 of respondents who are low income say lack of $$ has harmful effect on health. @NPRHealth http://t.co/L0Iun2mmPa http://t.… about 13 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @TheAtlanticHLTH: Why don't convenience stores sell better food? http://t.co/VMdhb6ZeD5 about 18 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Did you know fake journals try to get articles from people? Did you know sometimes they're terrible at it? http://t.co/xRFM9yX6ds 07:13:01 PM March 01, 2015 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @BostonGlobe: Storm on Sunday expected to bring 3 to 6 inches of snow to Boston http://t.co/FpHW89Ym5s http://t.co/oCYJBPQysA 12:44:34 PM February 28, 2015 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @theNCI: Today! NIH celebrates #RareDiseaseDay2015. Details: http://t.co/36jyVtCww2 Watch live: http://t.co/vp7uLaOpL5 @NIH http://t.co… 08:30:15 AM February 27, 2015 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @ProQuest: Upcoming maintenance window: Mar 1, 2015, 2 AM UTC for 5 hours. Access to ProQuest products will not be available http://t.co… 08:26:11 AM February 27, 2015 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
Tufts HHSL on Facebook