Book Review by Jane Ichord, Information Services Librarian
Want to take a break from your job, leave your house behind and move to Paris? If you’re like me, your first answer is “Yes!” and your second answer is “I can’t!”, then follow my lead and pick up a copy of “Paris In Love: A Memoir” by Eloisa James instead. It’s the perfect outlet for living vicariously. James, a professor and writer of historical romances, documents her sabbatical year in the City of Love and Lights. During the course of the year, she eats and shops her way through Paris, offering her audience a glimpse of daily life croissant by croissant. As with any good read, there’s plenty of conflict on which to report — James’ European life is not all fun and games: her husband and kids are along for the ride. There are anecdotes about navigating Parisian schools, surviving ordinary marital spats in foreign territory, and gaining perspective on those less economically fortunate.
James’ account is the perfect T or beach read, packed with abbreviated vignettes that, in fact, started out as Facebook posts. It’s my idea of the perfect summer escape; shopping without spending, eating without the calories, and the right mix of adventure and reality to keep me from canceling my week at the beach and booking a one-way flight to Paris.
Tags4th floor 5th floor affiliation Ask Leo book review circulation copyright crafts databases electronic resource electronic resources events extended hours food fun fun lab HHSL Hirsh Health Sciences Library holiday holidays hours ILLiad Interlibrary Loan library service desk library staff lunch new books open access open access week open workshop portals recipes resources restaurant review staff statistics stress relief summer survey Thanksgiving therapy dogs Tufts Hirsh Health Sciences Library Under10 website writing consultants
Follow Us on Twitter!
- Walt Whitman Promoted a Paleo Diet. Who Knew? https://t.co/jO74naO8qc about 6 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @statnews: Fasting before a cholesterol test is no longer necessary, new guidelines say https://t.co/q7kPAAt3ni https://t.co/QtdmpulxGq about 13 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @statnews: Advocacy groups sue FDA to disclose more information about its expert panel members https://t.co/aVnDQPVEW6 (fixed) https://t… about 14 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- See what librarians can be up against! Weeding the Worst Library Books https://t.co/qcVZJffa9M via @newyorker 01:35:47 PM April 28, 2016 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @marionnestle: See @juliaoftoronto's terrific analysis of why exercise isn't enough for weight loss. https://t.co/0XYLLUtaVf 11:18:57 AM April 28, 2016 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- BBC News - E-cigarettes should be offered to smokers, say doctors https://t.co/fQmJvs8fSc 08:15:50 AM April 28, 2016 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
Tufts HHSL on Facebook