Book Review by Jane Ichord, Information Services Librarian
Want to take a break from your job, leave your house behind and move to Paris? If you’re like me, your first answer is “Yes!” and your second answer is “I can’t!”, then follow my lead and pick up a copy of “Paris In Love: A Memoir” by Eloisa James instead. It’s the perfect outlet for living vicariously. James, a professor and writer of historical romances, documents her sabbatical year in the City of Love and Lights. During the course of the year, she eats and shops her way through Paris, offering her audience a glimpse of daily life croissant by croissant. As with any good read, there’s plenty of conflict on which to report — James’ European life is not all fun and games: her husband and kids are along for the ride. There are anecdotes about navigating Parisian schools, surviving ordinary marital spats in foreign territory, and gaining perspective on those less economically fortunate.
James’ account is the perfect T or beach read, packed with abbreviated vignettes that, in fact, started out as Facebook posts. It’s my idea of the perfect summer escape; shopping without spending, eating without the calories, and the right mix of adventure and reality to keep me from canceling my week at the beach and booking a one-way flight to Paris.
Tags4th floor 5th floor 6th floor Ask Leo book review books book talk circulation copyright databases eBooks electronic resource electronic resources events extended hours food fun fun lab graduation HHSL Hirsh Health Sciences Library holidays hours library service desk library staff lunch new books new resource open access open access week open workshop portals publishing recipes resources restaurant review staff stress relief summer therapy dogs Tufts Hirsh Health Sciences Library TUSM Under10 website writing consultants
Follow Us on Twitter!
- RT @NPRHealth: A Sense Of Self: What Happens When Your Brain Says You Don't Exist http://t.co/xjypUdMK5q about 22 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @sciam: Melting Mummies Are on Thin Ice, Thanks to Climate Change http://t.co/YT82Xrh1kf #science 12:22:14 PM July 28, 2015 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Writing Consultants sessions are resuming 8/2 with a new schedule! | What's New @ HHSL http://t.co/gGwL50TkmN 12:12:14 PM July 28, 2015 from Bitly ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @GreenTufts: Grand opening of the @BosPublicMarket on Thurs at 11am. Year-round market will feature fresh, locally sourced food. http://… 10:29:29 AM July 27, 2015 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @TIE_Tufts: Great #jumboalumniservicemonth #jasm event with @MysticMyRWA and the Tufts Environmental Alumni! http://t.co/Q3wXyDnvvs 01:41:35 PM July 25, 2015 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Americans Are Finally Eating Less http://t.co/SXFty4r6Ex via @UpshotNYT 12:38:39 PM July 24, 2015 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
Tufts HHSL on Facebook