Book Review by Jane Ichord, Information Services Librarian
Want to take a break from your job, leave your house behind and move to Paris? If you’re like me, your first answer is “Yes!” and your second answer is “I can’t!”, then follow my lead and pick up a copy of “Paris In Love: A Memoir” by Eloisa James instead. It’s the perfect outlet for living vicariously. James, a professor and writer of historical romances, documents her sabbatical year in the City of Love and Lights. During the course of the year, she eats and shops her way through Paris, offering her audience a glimpse of daily life croissant by croissant. As with any good read, there’s plenty of conflict on which to report — James’ European life is not all fun and games: her husband and kids are along for the ride. There are anecdotes about navigating Parisian schools, surviving ordinary marital spats in foreign territory, and gaining perspective on those less economically fortunate.
James’ account is the perfect T or beach read, packed with abbreviated vignettes that, in fact, started out as Facebook posts. It’s my idea of the perfect summer escape; shopping without spending, eating without the calories, and the right mix of adventure and reality to keep me from canceling my week at the beach and booking a one-way flight to Paris.
Tags4th floor 5th floor Ask Leo book review circulation copyright databases eBooks electronic resource electronic resources events extended hours food fun fun lab graduation HHSL Hirsh Health Sciences Library holidays hours ILLiad Interlibrary Loan library service desk library staff lunch new books new resource open access open access week open workshop portals publishing recipes resources restaurant review staff statistics stress relief summer therapy dogs Tufts Hirsh Health Sciences Library TUSM Under10 website writing consultants
Follow Us on Twitter!
- RT @TuftsNutrition: Friedman's Jeanne Goldberg comments today in the @BostonGlobe about lunchtime trading among school children: http://t.c… 12:42:13 PM October 09, 2015 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @SPARC_NA: Our map of #OAWeek events is filling up fast—122 and counting! Make sure yours is counted. Add it now! http://t.co/eiSY8BvTOq 11:37:55 AM October 09, 2015 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Cutest. Spider. EVER!!!! Peruvian Amazon's Roly Poly Spider and Other Exotic Orb Weavers http://t.co/psVeJ6p6Ke 10:36:47 AM October 09, 2015 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Extra, extra! Be informed about the risks of foregoing vaccinations! https://t.co/xKuxqVjqb2 10:35:30 AM October 09, 2015 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @scifri: At 2pET, we're talking to the 2015 @NobelPrize laureates in Chemistry, Physics, & Medicine. http://t.co/TP1MQB9Qgu http://t.co/… 10:34:48 AM October 09, 2015 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Tufts' New Entry Sustainable Farming Project on WGBH News story on Nutrition Inequality http://t.co/YaAZscdvxy via @wgbhnews 03:00:09 PM October 08, 2015 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
Tufts HHSL on Facebook