Book Review by Jane Ichord, Information Services Librarian
Want to take a break from your job, leave your house behind and move to Paris? If you’re like me, your first answer is “Yes!” and your second answer is “I can’t!”, then follow my lead and pick up a copy of “Paris In Love: A Memoir” by Eloisa James instead. It’s the perfect outlet for living vicariously. James, a professor and writer of historical romances, documents her sabbatical year in the City of Love and Lights. During the course of the year, she eats and shops her way through Paris, offering her audience a glimpse of daily life croissant by croissant. As with any good read, there’s plenty of conflict on which to report — James’ European life is not all fun and games: her husband and kids are along for the ride. There are anecdotes about navigating Parisian schools, surviving ordinary marital spats in foreign territory, and gaining perspective on those less economically fortunate.
James’ account is the perfect T or beach read, packed with abbreviated vignettes that, in fact, started out as Facebook posts. It’s my idea of the perfect summer escape; shopping without spending, eating without the calories, and the right mix of adventure and reality to keep me from canceling my week at the beach and booking a one-way flight to Paris.
Tags4th floor Ask Leo book review book talk celebration circulation congratulations copyright databases electronic resource electronic resources events extended hours facebook food graduation graphs HHSL hhsl event Hirsh Health Sciences Library holidays hours ILLiad Interlibrary Loan library service desk library staff lunch mobile apps new books open access open access week open workshop portals publishing recipes resources restaurant review staff statistics summer Tufts Hirsh Health Sciences Library TUSM Under10 website Women's History Month
Follow Us on Twitter!
- Happy Holidays from the Hirsh Health Sciences Library! http://t.co/ea9T49PUWz http://t.co/yydNl3qdt5 09:53:29 AM December 23, 2014 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @dcatufts: These children at the South End House seem happy, despite the (terrifying) Santa Clause mask. http://t.co/aroFLKq4m5 http://t… 01:01:27 PM December 22, 2014 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @TuftsMedicalCtr: Tufts MC helps two generations survive hereditary life-threatening kidney disease http://t.co/sgAsqtey8K #LoveTuftsMC 03:35:00 PM December 19, 2014 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @TheAtlantic: Some simple steps for choosing the right cold medicine http://t.co/3fuqPZOuO5 http://t.co/B7PheanSu3 01:26:18 PM December 19, 2014 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @bmj_latest: A cheap alternative way to amplify music on a smartphone during surgery #XmasBMJ http://t.co/LaZNxMyOn8 http://t.co/6sfn6WR… 09:30:48 AM December 19, 2014 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Just delivered a cup of coffee to a busy student! Are you the next student? Only if you tweet #coffeeoncall in the next 10 minutes... 03:51:33 PM December 18, 2014 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
Tufts HHSL on Facebook