Book Review by Jane Ichord, Information Services Librarian
Want to take a break from your job, leave your house behind and move to Paris? If you’re like me, your first answer is “Yes!” and your second answer is “I can’t!”, then follow my lead and pick up a copy of “Paris In Love: A Memoir” by Eloisa James instead. It’s the perfect outlet for living vicariously. James, a professor and writer of historical romances, documents her sabbatical year in the City of Love and Lights. During the course of the year, she eats and shops her way through Paris, offering her audience a glimpse of daily life croissant by croissant. As with any good read, there’s plenty of conflict on which to report — James’ European life is not all fun and games: her husband and kids are along for the ride. There are anecdotes about navigating Parisian schools, surviving ordinary marital spats in foreign territory, and gaining perspective on those less economically fortunate.
James’ account is the perfect T or beach read, packed with abbreviated vignettes that, in fact, started out as Facebook posts. It’s my idea of the perfect summer escape; shopping without spending, eating without the calories, and the right mix of adventure and reality to keep me from canceling my week at the beach and booking a one-way flight to Paris.
Tags4th floor 5th floor affiliation book review circulation coffee copyright crafts databases electronic resource electronic resources events exams extended hours food fun fun lab graduation HHSL Hirsh Health Sciences Library holiday holidays hours ILLiad Interlibrary Loan library service desk library staff lunch new books open access open access week open workshop portals recipes resources staff statistics stress relief summer survey Thanksgiving therapy dogs Tufts Hirsh Health Sciences Library Under10 website
Follow Us on Twitter!
- 4th of July Weekend Hours | What's New @ HHSL https://t.co/nrxoHAEgaX 12:21:29 PM June 30, 2016 from Bitly ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @AmerDentalAssn: 7 #tips for your #FourthOfJuly party: https://t.co/1duCbp3xPI #Foodie https://t.co/AmD67YPOpB 03:51:08 PM June 29, 2016 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Hilarious! Placebo https://t.co/9of4mcW0eG via @newyorker 03:29:49 PM June 29, 2016 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @CBSHealth: Mosquitoes seem to find these types of people irresistible. Are you one of them? https://t.co/7Cn6Tir0Gd https://t.co/46phC… 12:27:09 PM June 29, 2016 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @wgbhnews: How The Humble Orange Sweet Potato Won Researchers The World Food Prize https://t.co/leZTZ5IaaB https://t.co/hbOEyvYE51 11:31:12 AM June 29, 2016 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @TuftsPR: Researchers at @TuftsDental have reprogrammed non-healing tissue from diabetic foot ulcers as pluripotent stem cells https://t… 09:54:33 AM June 29, 2016 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
Tufts HHSL on Facebook