Book Review by Jane Ichord, Information Services Librarian
Want to take a break from your job, leave your house behind and move to Paris? If you’re like me, your first answer is “Yes!” and your second answer is “I can’t!”, then follow my lead and pick up a copy of “Paris In Love: A Memoir” by Eloisa James instead. It’s the perfect outlet for living vicariously. James, a professor and writer of historical romances, documents her sabbatical year in the City of Love and Lights. During the course of the year, she eats and shops her way through Paris, offering her audience a glimpse of daily life croissant by croissant. As with any good read, there’s plenty of conflict on which to report — James’ European life is not all fun and games: her husband and kids are along for the ride. There are anecdotes about navigating Parisian schools, surviving ordinary marital spats in foreign territory, and gaining perspective on those less economically fortunate.
James’ account is the perfect T or beach read, packed with abbreviated vignettes that, in fact, started out as Facebook posts. It’s my idea of the perfect summer escape; shopping without spending, eating without the calories, and the right mix of adventure and reality to keep me from canceling my week at the beach and booking a one-way flight to Paris.
Tags4th floor Ask Leo book review book talk celebration circulation congratulations copyright databases electronic resource electronic resources events extended hours facebook food graduation graphs HHSL hhsl event Hirsh Health Sciences Library holidays hours ILLiad Interlibrary Loan library service desk library staff lunch mobile apps new books open access open access week open workshop portals publishing recipes resources restaurant review staff statistics summer Tufts Hirsh Health Sciences Library TUSM Under10 website Women's History Month
Follow Us on Twitter!
- RT @BostonGlobe: #Recipe for stuffed portobellos with squash and chestnut http://t.co/dAny9FI0rS http://t.co/tCwSX3ePrk 02:36:05 PM November 25, 2014 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @nlm_news: Take time this holiday weekend to discuss your #familyhealthhistory. How to start the conversation: http://t.co/A0naQMZXoT 02:32:49 PM November 25, 2014 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Ask Leo Episode Five: Renewing Reserves | What's New @ HHSL http://t.co/ejVNk5Y8oH 10:25:36 AM November 25, 2014 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- I seriously love everything that was in that last Tweet. I'm sure they're great people, too! 01:45:25 PM November 23, 2014 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @TuftsOcl: Tufts Quidditch's Yule Ball Tickets on sale now online and at the booth for just $10. 01:44:57 PM November 23, 2014 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @KHCourage: #deargodno RT @ziyatong: The beak of a colossal squid. [photo: Museum of New Zealand Te Papa Tongarewa] http://t.co/TarSeiH… 01:44:15 PM November 23, 2014 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
Tufts HHSL on Facebook