Book Review by Jane Ichord, Information Services Librarian
Want to take a break from your job, leave your house behind and move to Paris? If you’re like me, your first answer is “Yes!” and your second answer is “I can’t!”, then follow my lead and pick up a copy of “Paris In Love: A Memoir” by Eloisa James instead. It’s the perfect outlet for living vicariously. James, a professor and writer of historical romances, documents her sabbatical year in the City of Love and Lights. During the course of the year, she eats and shops her way through Paris, offering her audience a glimpse of daily life croissant by croissant. As with any good read, there’s plenty of conflict on which to report — James’ European life is not all fun and games: her husband and kids are along for the ride. There are anecdotes about navigating Parisian schools, surviving ordinary marital spats in foreign territory, and gaining perspective on those less economically fortunate.
James’ account is the perfect T or beach read, packed with abbreviated vignettes that, in fact, started out as Facebook posts. It’s my idea of the perfect summer escape; shopping without spending, eating without the calories, and the right mix of adventure and reality to keep me from canceling my week at the beach and booking a one-way flight to Paris.
Tags4th floor 6th floor Ask Leo book review book talk celebration circulation congratulations copyright databases dental eBooks electronic resource electronic resources events extended hours food fun lab HHSL Hirsh Health Sciences Library holidays hours library service desk library staff lunch match day new books open access open access week open workshop portals publishing recipes resources restaurant review staff stress relief summer therapy dogs Tufts Hirsh Health Sciences Library TUSM Under10 website Women's History Month writing consultants
Follow Us on Twitter!
- RT @TuftsUniversity: Have a pollen allergy? Check out these tips from experts including @TuftsMedSchool Prof Weihong Zheng: http://t.co/niL… 10:52:05 AM May 05, 2015 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- We've got new books! What's New @ HHSL http://t.co/DK2Drvn2wU 10:13:05 AM May 05, 2015 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @NatGeo: What do you get when you cross a kangaroo, koala, sloth, monkey and bear? http://t.co/k3Q78Rugoi 08:21:44 AM May 05, 2015 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @NaturlLibrarian: 13 Beautifully Unusual Libraries From Around The World http://t.co/avzLq4876V via @HuffPostArts 02:13:59 PM May 04, 2015 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- The FindIt@Tufts icon has now been restored to PubMed. Happy researching! 10:52:20 AM May 04, 2015 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- The FindIt@Tufts icon is temporarily absent from your PubMed search. If you need assistance obtaining an article please contact us. 10:30:44 AM May 04, 2015 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
Tufts HHSL on Facebook