Book Review by Jane Ichord, Information Services Librarian
Want to take a break from your job, leave your house behind and move to Paris? If you’re like me, your first answer is “Yes!” and your second answer is “I can’t!”, then follow my lead and pick up a copy of “Paris In Love: A Memoir” by Eloisa James instead. It’s the perfect outlet for living vicariously. James, a professor and writer of historical romances, documents her sabbatical year in the City of Love and Lights. During the course of the year, she eats and shops her way through Paris, offering her audience a glimpse of daily life croissant by croissant. As with any good read, there’s plenty of conflict on which to report — James’ European life is not all fun and games: her husband and kids are along for the ride. There are anecdotes about navigating Parisian schools, surviving ordinary marital spats in foreign territory, and gaining perspective on those less economically fortunate.
James’ account is the perfect T or beach read, packed with abbreviated vignettes that, in fact, started out as Facebook posts. It’s my idea of the perfect summer escape; shopping without spending, eating without the calories, and the right mix of adventure and reality to keep me from canceling my week at the beach and booking a one-way flight to Paris.
Tags4th floor 5th floor affiliation book review circulation coffee copyright crafts databases electronic resource electronic resources events exams extended hours food fun fun lab graduation HHSL Hirsh Health Sciences Library holiday holidays hours ILLiad Interlibrary Loan library service desk library staff lunch new books open access open access week open workshop portals publishing recipes resources staff statistics summer survey Thanksgiving therapy dogs Tufts Hirsh Health Sciences Library website welcome!
Follow Us on Twitter!
- Black doctors have dealt with distrust and misperceptions for more than a century. https://t.co/aSSCiVOc88 02:42:59 PM December 09, 2016 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- We have everything you need! Make a gingerbread house! https://t.co/HSqqggiW0z 12:37:52 PM December 09, 2016 from Twitter for Android ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Heroin deaths surpass gun homicides for the first time, CDC data shows https://t.co/Wqc29o327w 11:14:39 AM December 09, 2016 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @BostonGlobe: Spotlight report: The hidden cost of a broken mental health care system.https://t.co/XoFcdoJVVc https://t.co/HWYdcJHYpY 08:19:03 AM December 09, 2016 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @nytimeswell: Should the Food Industry Sneak Vegetables Into Food? https://t.co/UZ8BhdsTiq 11:42:30 AM December 08, 2016 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- BBC News - US life expectancy declines for first time in 20 years https://t.co/jrCoGOLXY5 09:25:46 AM December 08, 2016 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
Tufts HHSL on Facebook