Book Review by Jane Ichord, Information Services Librarian
Want to take a break from your job, leave your house behind and move to Paris? If you’re like me, your first answer is “Yes!” and your second answer is “I can’t!”, then follow my lead and pick up a copy of “Paris In Love: A Memoir” by Eloisa James instead. It’s the perfect outlet for living vicariously. James, a professor and writer of historical romances, documents her sabbatical year in the City of Love and Lights. During the course of the year, she eats and shops her way through Paris, offering her audience a glimpse of daily life croissant by croissant. As with any good read, there’s plenty of conflict on which to report — James’ European life is not all fun and games: her husband and kids are along for the ride. There are anecdotes about navigating Parisian schools, surviving ordinary marital spats in foreign territory, and gaining perspective on those less economically fortunate.
James’ account is the perfect T or beach read, packed with abbreviated vignettes that, in fact, started out as Facebook posts. It’s my idea of the perfect summer escape; shopping without spending, eating without the calories, and the right mix of adventure and reality to keep me from canceling my week at the beach and booking a one-way flight to Paris.
Tags4th floor 5th floor Ask Leo book review circulation copyright crafts databases dental eBooks electronic resource electronic resources events extended hours food fun lab graduation HHSL Hirsh Health Sciences Library holiday holidays hours ILLiad Interlibrary Loan library service desk library staff lunch new books open access open access week open workshop portals recipes resources restaurant review staff statistics summer survey Thanksgiving Tufts Hirsh Health Sciences Library TUSM Under10 website writing consultants
Follow Us on Twitter!
- New database from @AHRQNews tracks hospital readmission rates. Learn more: https://t.co/SvHM9VfdtV 09:47:52 AM November 25, 2015 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Happy Thanksgiving from Hirsh! | What's New @ HHSL https://t.co/z8tyCEoiYf 03:41:04 PM November 24, 2015 from Bitly ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @TuftsMedSchool: Alicia Romano shares her expertise in list of the 50 (new) healthiest foods of all time – with recipes! https://t.co/HE… 02:20:41 PM November 24, 2015 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @Dmozaffarian: Excellent, objective dissection of the evidence and controversies over dietary fats: https://t.co/8UXYujLHij @voxdotcom 11:44:05 AM November 24, 2015 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- For years, the government told Americans to avoid fat. That was wrong. https://t.co/DUXrS5K26E via @voxdotcom 09:02:40 AM November 24, 2015 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @TuftsDental: Just a reminder that the dental school and clinics will be closed Thursday, Nov. 26 and Friday, Nov. 27 to celebrate Thank… 03:32:22 PM November 23, 2015 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
Tufts HHSL on Facebook