Book Review by Jane Ichord, Information Services Librarian
Want to take a break from your job, leave your house behind and move to Paris? If you’re like me, your first answer is “Yes!” and your second answer is “I can’t!”, then follow my lead and pick up a copy of “Paris In Love: A Memoir” by Eloisa James instead. It’s the perfect outlet for living vicariously. James, a professor and writer of historical romances, documents her sabbatical year in the City of Love and Lights. During the course of the year, she eats and shops her way through Paris, offering her audience a glimpse of daily life croissant by croissant. As with any good read, there’s plenty of conflict on which to report — James’ European life is not all fun and games: her husband and kids are along for the ride. There are anecdotes about navigating Parisian schools, surviving ordinary marital spats in foreign territory, and gaining perspective on those less economically fortunate.
James’ account is the perfect T or beach read, packed with abbreviated vignettes that, in fact, started out as Facebook posts. It’s my idea of the perfect summer escape; shopping without spending, eating without the calories, and the right mix of adventure and reality to keep me from canceling my week at the beach and booking a one-way flight to Paris.
Tags4th floor african american history book review books book talk celebration circulation congratulations data databases dental electronic resource electronic resources events extended hours facebook food graduation HHSL hhsl event Hirsh Health Sciences Library holidays hours ILLiad Interlibrary Loan library service desk library staff lunch match day medical school mobile apps new books open access open workshop portals recipes resources restaurant review social media staff summer TUSM Under10 website Women's History Month
Follow Us on Twitter!
- RT @scifri: Today at 2p ET: Why did humans evolve to have a variety of faces? http://t.co/3cVrPr2Tgn http://t.co/VItpCRhKmY 12:17:09 PM September 19, 2014 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @nlm_news: It's Whole Grains Month! Are you eating enough? Check out these recipes & more: http://t.co/D9q83Ivmyw 09:51:03 AM September 19, 2014 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- HHSL Scan and Borrow Event! | What's New @ HHSL http://t.co/IVP0Z5e9nf 02:09:32 PM September 18, 2014 from Bitly ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @NatGeo: Find out where your favorite seafood ranks in sustainability: http://t.co/kqbFjU507J #FutureofFood 08:39:13 AM September 18, 2014 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @bmj_latest: Computer games are being designed as healthcare tools because of their power to engage, motivate, and inspire.... http://t.… 03:25:36 PM September 17, 2014 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @NBCNewsHealth: How Can Diet Sodas Make You Fat? Study May Explain It http://t.co/acH66X9EKj 02:37:32 PM September 17, 2014 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
Tufts HHSL on Facebook