Book Review by Jane Ichord, Information Services Librarian
Want to take a break from your job, leave your house behind and move to Paris? If you’re like me, your first answer is “Yes!” and your second answer is “I can’t!”, then follow my lead and pick up a copy of “Paris In Love: A Memoir” by Eloisa James instead. It’s the perfect outlet for living vicariously. James, a professor and writer of historical romances, documents her sabbatical year in the City of Love and Lights. During the course of the year, she eats and shops her way through Paris, offering her audience a glimpse of daily life croissant by croissant. As with any good read, there’s plenty of conflict on which to report — James’ European life is not all fun and games: her husband and kids are along for the ride. There are anecdotes about navigating Parisian schools, surviving ordinary marital spats in foreign territory, and gaining perspective on those less economically fortunate.
James’ account is the perfect T or beach read, packed with abbreviated vignettes that, in fact, started out as Facebook posts. It’s my idea of the perfect summer escape; shopping without spending, eating without the calories, and the right mix of adventure and reality to keep me from canceling my week at the beach and booking a one-way flight to Paris.
Tags4th floor 5th floor affiliation book review circulation coffee copyright crafts databases electronic resource electronic resources events exams extended hours food fun fun lab graduation HHSL Hirsh Health Sciences Library holiday holidays hours ILLiad Interlibrary Loan library service desk library staff lunch new books open access open access week open workshop portals publishing recipes resources staff statistics summer survey Thanksgiving therapy dogs Tufts Hirsh Health Sciences Library website welcome!
Follow Us on Twitter!
- Join us at the intersection of craft and snack...make a gingerbread house! 12/8 + 12/9 at 12pm | What's New @ HHSL https://t.co/QMBX8AaqVx about 14 hours ago from Bitly ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Can You Get Too Much Protein? https://t.co/muP2OuZT6Y about 17 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Depression common among medical school students, study finds https://t.co/7DdsnmBSJC via @BostonGlobe about 19 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Can You Regain Muscle Mass After Age 60? https://t.co/ICKVJlljZN via @nytimeswell about 20 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- BBC News - Caesarean births 'affecting human evolution' https://t.co/ApS0CUwm3l about 21 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @JMHNRCA: Great background on @JMHNRCA and @TuftsNutrition https://t.co/TEmTKgPFxB 11:30:19 AM December 05, 2016 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
Tufts HHSL on Facebook