Book Review by Jane Ichord, Information Services Librarian
Want to take a break from your job, leave your house behind and move to Paris? If you’re like me, your first answer is “Yes!” and your second answer is “I can’t!”, then follow my lead and pick up a copy of “Paris In Love: A Memoir” by Eloisa James instead. It’s the perfect outlet for living vicariously. James, a professor and writer of historical romances, documents her sabbatical year in the City of Love and Lights. During the course of the year, she eats and shops her way through Paris, offering her audience a glimpse of daily life croissant by croissant. As with any good read, there’s plenty of conflict on which to report — James’ European life is not all fun and games: her husband and kids are along for the ride. There are anecdotes about navigating Parisian schools, surviving ordinary marital spats in foreign territory, and gaining perspective on those less economically fortunate.
James’ account is the perfect T or beach read, packed with abbreviated vignettes that, in fact, started out as Facebook posts. It’s my idea of the perfect summer escape; shopping without spending, eating without the calories, and the right mix of adventure and reality to keep me from canceling my week at the beach and booking a one-way flight to Paris.
Tags4th floor african american history apps book review books book talk celebration circulation congratulations data databases dental electronic resource electronic resources events extended hours facebook graduation graphs HHSL hhsl event holidays hours ILLiad Interlibrary Loan library service desk library staff match day medical school mobile apps new books open access open workshop portals recipes resources restaurant review social media staff statistics technology TUSM Under10 website Women's History Month
Follow Us on Twitter!
- Fistbumps may be good for your health! They transfer fewer germs than handshakes, says new study VIA @ReutersHealth http://t.co/swqF105S5g about 1 hour ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Your favorite skeleton is back with the answers to your #library questions in #AskLeo Ep.2 | What's New @ HHSL http://t.co/doMTZOqvLS about 4 hours ago from Bitly ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @dentalhealthorg: Morning tip: Chew sugar-free gum after eating. This helps your mouth to make more saliva and fights the acids that for… about 4 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @TuftsMedicalCtr: RT @cdchep: TODAY is #WorldHepatitisDay! Help raise awareness of #hepatitis & its prevention, control & treatment http… about 22 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- New #FriedmanSchool dean, D.Mozaffarian, hopes to have strong research presence @TuftsNutrition. Via @BostonGlobeMag http://t.co/oQUNNA0F0t 12:40:39 PM July 28, 2014 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @TuftsDental: TUSDM stats say dentistry is moving towards gender equality- featuring Dr. Maria Papageorge! http://t.co/urd0syM223 #denta… 10:38:08 AM July 28, 2014 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
Tufts HHSL on Facebook