Book Review by Jane Ichord, Information Services Librarian
Want to take a break from your job, leave your house behind and move to Paris? If you’re like me, your first answer is “Yes!” and your second answer is “I can’t!”, then follow my lead and pick up a copy of “Paris In Love: A Memoir” by Eloisa James instead. It’s the perfect outlet for living vicariously. James, a professor and writer of historical romances, documents her sabbatical year in the City of Love and Lights. During the course of the year, she eats and shops her way through Paris, offering her audience a glimpse of daily life croissant by croissant. As with any good read, there’s plenty of conflict on which to report — James’ European life is not all fun and games: her husband and kids are along for the ride. There are anecdotes about navigating Parisian schools, surviving ordinary marital spats in foreign territory, and gaining perspective on those less economically fortunate.
James’ account is the perfect T or beach read, packed with abbreviated vignettes that, in fact, started out as Facebook posts. It’s my idea of the perfect summer escape; shopping without spending, eating without the calories, and the right mix of adventure and reality to keep me from canceling my week at the beach and booking a one-way flight to Paris.
Tags4th floor 6th floor Ask Leo book review book talk celebration circulation congratulations copyright data databases dental eBooks electronic resource electronic resources events extended hours food fun lab graduation HHSL Hirsh Health Sciences Library holidays hours library service desk library staff lunch match day new books open access open access week open workshop portals publishing recipes resources restaurant review staff summer therapy dogs Tufts Hirsh Health Sciences Library TUSM Under10 website Women's History Month
Follow Us on Twitter!
- The library service desk is open 10AM-10PM today! http://t.co/1w3odcSkUu 10:25:52 AM April 25, 2015 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @TuftsNutrition: "What's the quality of the food we are eating? How do we define quality?"-- @Dmozaffarian via @HealthDayEditor: http://… 02:29:01 PM April 24, 2015 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- 2015: the Year of the Ugly Vegetable? http://t.co/AjRRiV99QZ via @usnews 12:16:05 PM April 24, 2015 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Live near the Medford campus? Go check it out - lots of fun! https://t.co/1ev24et78G 12:01:12 PM April 24, 2015 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- @smarfdoc When you search a database like PubMed? 10:50:49 AM April 24, 2015 from Twitter Web Client in reply to smarfdoc ReplyRetweetFavorite
- @smarfdoc 2dary prev. of CAD, yes? Does this info help :-)? [Tufts login required] http://t.co/14qpqGtpig 10:34:50 AM April 24, 2015 from Twitter Web Client in reply to smarfdoc ReplyRetweetFavorite
Tufts HHSL on Facebook