Book Review by Jane Ichord, Information Services Librarian
Want to take a break from your job, leave your house behind and move to Paris? If you’re like me, your first answer is “Yes!” and your second answer is “I can’t!”, then follow my lead and pick up a copy of “Paris In Love: A Memoir” by Eloisa James instead. It’s the perfect outlet for living vicariously. James, a professor and writer of historical romances, documents her sabbatical year in the City of Love and Lights. During the course of the year, she eats and shops her way through Paris, offering her audience a glimpse of daily life croissant by croissant. As with any good read, there’s plenty of conflict on which to report — James’ European life is not all fun and games: her husband and kids are along for the ride. There are anecdotes about navigating Parisian schools, surviving ordinary marital spats in foreign territory, and gaining perspective on those less economically fortunate.
James’ account is the perfect T or beach read, packed with abbreviated vignettes that, in fact, started out as Facebook posts. It’s my idea of the perfect summer escape; shopping without spending, eating without the calories, and the right mix of adventure and reality to keep me from canceling my week at the beach and booking a one-way flight to Paris.
Tags4th floor 6th floor Ask Leo book review book talk circulation congratulations copyright databases dental eBooks electronic resource electronic resources events extended hours food fun lab graduation HHSL Hirsh Health Sciences Library holidays hours library service desk library staff lunch match day new books open access open access week open workshop portals publishing recipes resources restaurant review staff stress relief summer therapy dogs Tufts Hirsh Health Sciences Library TUSM Under10 website Women's History Month writing consultants
Follow Us on Twitter!
- Memorial Day Hours http://t.co/eMPK8M9S0n http://t.co/G5kt2UiNUV about 20 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Check out this pic - very fun! https://t.co/W8teHs34vN about 21 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- One Town Is Going to Try Not Arresting Heroin Users http://t.co/ny4GrvRoy4 via @tnr about 21 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @TuftsPR: What's the deal with GMOs? #Tufts nutrition expert Alice Lichtenstein weighs in http://t.co/3gI3RI698G (via @CNN) about 22 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- David Sackett | Clinical Epidemiology Pioneer Dies https://t.co/kuluG81jnB via @sharethis 02:51:34 PM May 20, 2015 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @NYTHealth: Well: Scientists Unravel How Flu Vaccine Reduces Risk of a Cancer http://t.co/EZ660IREFv 12:30:53 PM May 20, 2015 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
Tufts HHSL on Facebook