Book Review by Jane Ichord, Information Services Librarian
Want to take a break from your job, leave your house behind and move to Paris? If you’re like me, your first answer is “Yes!” and your second answer is “I can’t!”, then follow my lead and pick up a copy of “Paris In Love: A Memoir” by Eloisa James instead. It’s the perfect outlet for living vicariously. James, a professor and writer of historical romances, documents her sabbatical year in the City of Love and Lights. During the course of the year, she eats and shops her way through Paris, offering her audience a glimpse of daily life croissant by croissant. As with any good read, there’s plenty of conflict on which to report — James’ European life is not all fun and games: her husband and kids are along for the ride. There are anecdotes about navigating Parisian schools, surviving ordinary marital spats in foreign territory, and gaining perspective on those less economically fortunate.
James’ account is the perfect T or beach read, packed with abbreviated vignettes that, in fact, started out as Facebook posts. It’s my idea of the perfect summer escape; shopping without spending, eating without the calories, and the right mix of adventure and reality to keep me from canceling my week at the beach and booking a one-way flight to Paris.
Tags4th floor 6th floor african american history book review book talk celebration circulation congratulations copyright databases electronic resource electronic resources events extended hours facebook food graduation HHSL hhsl event Hirsh Health Sciences Library holidays hours ILLiad Interlibrary Loan library service desk library staff lunch mobile apps new books open access open access week open workshop portals publishing recipes resources restaurant review social media staff summer Tufts Hirsh Health Sciences Library TUSM Under10 website Women's History Month
Follow Us on Twitter!
- Happy Halloween from HHSL! | What's New @ HHSL http://t.co/yGiPyFeJZz about 1 hour ago from Bitly ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @GreenTufts: Frightfully clever! @hubbubUK creates Pumpkin Rescue Project to reduce food waste: http://t.co/nH42Qw1tQW about 1 hour ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @nprscience: Parasite Turns Bees Into Zombie-Like Creatures http://t.co/7KdGPBE5hE about 1 hour ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @HealthyBoston: Remembering #TomMenino, the #PublicHealth Mayor - http://t.co/GktZaFpAPN http://t.co/tnSGN7BaoZ about 18 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @CoalitiononHN: Did you know? Each dollar of SNAP benefits generates $1.79 in economic activity. #snap4SNAP http://t.co/oz5O5wEjqB http:… about 18 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @TuftsDental: RT @MassDental: Watch out for Ghosts, Goblins and…Mouth Monsters this Halloween | The Big Authority on Little Teeth http:/… about 18 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
Tufts HHSL on Facebook