Book Review by Jane Ichord, Information Services Librarian
Want to take a break from your job, leave your house behind and move to Paris? If you’re like me, your first answer is “Yes!” and your second answer is “I can’t!”, then follow my lead and pick up a copy of “Paris In Love: A Memoir” by Eloisa James instead. It’s the perfect outlet for living vicariously. James, a professor and writer of historical romances, documents her sabbatical year in the City of Love and Lights. During the course of the year, she eats and shops her way through Paris, offering her audience a glimpse of daily life croissant by croissant. As with any good read, there’s plenty of conflict on which to report — James’ European life is not all fun and games: her husband and kids are along for the ride. There are anecdotes about navigating Parisian schools, surviving ordinary marital spats in foreign territory, and gaining perspective on those less economically fortunate.
James’ account is the perfect T or beach read, packed with abbreviated vignettes that, in fact, started out as Facebook posts. It’s my idea of the perfect summer escape; shopping without spending, eating without the calories, and the right mix of adventure and reality to keep me from canceling my week at the beach and booking a one-way flight to Paris.
Tags4th floor 5th floor affiliation book review books circulation copyright crafts databases electronic resource electronic resources events exams extended hours food fun fun lab graduation HHSL Hirsh Health Sciences Library holiday holidays hours ILLiad Interlibrary Loan Leo library service desk library staff lunch new books open access open access week open workshop Open Workshops portals recipes resources staff statistics summer survey Thanksgiving therapy dogs Tufts Hirsh Health Sciences Library website
Follow Us on Twitter!
- An investigation of a decades-long saga of lead poisoning in New Orleans by @fivefifths https://t.co/b6121k5Kv5 about 1 hour ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- WHO elects Ethiopia’s Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus as its new director general https://t.co/pC7yyrcjUC via @statnews about 1 hour ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @NYTHealth: The worst fat in the food supply https://t.co/gdksDPRAYX about 3 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Summer Leisure Reading | What's New @ HHSL https://t.co/jNf2fi6GW2 about 4 hours ago from Bitly ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @NYTHealth: Hospitals around the country are coping with a critical shortage of sodium bicarbonate solution. Yes, baking soda. https://t… 02:00:21 PM May 22, 2017 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @JMHNRCA: @sciam @JMHNRCA @TuftsNutrition Exercise has less of an effect on weight loss than we thought. https://t.co/y2Nb0znbvz https… 01:51:57 PM May 19, 2017 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
Tufts HHSL on Facebook