Book Review by Jane Ichord, Information Services Librarian
Want to take a break from your job, leave your house behind and move to Paris? If you’re like me, your first answer is “Yes!” and your second answer is “I can’t!”, then follow my lead and pick up a copy of “Paris In Love: A Memoir” by Eloisa James instead. It’s the perfect outlet for living vicariously. James, a professor and writer of historical romances, documents her sabbatical year in the City of Love and Lights. During the course of the year, she eats and shops her way through Paris, offering her audience a glimpse of daily life croissant by croissant. As with any good read, there’s plenty of conflict on which to report — James’ European life is not all fun and games: her husband and kids are along for the ride. There are anecdotes about navigating Parisian schools, surviving ordinary marital spats in foreign territory, and gaining perspective on those less economically fortunate.
James’ account is the perfect T or beach read, packed with abbreviated vignettes that, in fact, started out as Facebook posts. It’s my idea of the perfect summer escape; shopping without spending, eating without the calories, and the right mix of adventure and reality to keep me from canceling my week at the beach and booking a one-way flight to Paris.
Tags4th floor african american history Ask Leo book review books book talk celebration circulation congratulations databases dental electronic resource electronic resources events extended hours facebook food graduation HHSL hhsl event Hirsh Health Sciences Library holidays hours ILLiad Interlibrary Loan library service desk library staff lunch match day medical school mobile apps new books open access open workshop portals recipes resources restaurant review social media staff summer TUSM Under10 website Women's History Month
Follow Us on Twitter!
- RT @Dentagama: Best #endodontics ruler http://t.co/eyPkTDsAkx about 14 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Great Scholarly Resources That Happen to Be #OpenAccess | What's New @ HHSL http://t.co/6YRrcJFxZ0 #OpenAccessWeek2014 about 16 hours ago from Bitly ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @TuftsDental: Having trouble getting your child to the dentist? Here's some tips for how to help overcome #dentalanxiety. http://t.co/gU… 02:00:43 PM October 20, 2014 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @TIE_Tufts: @tuftsctsi November 13 Translational Research Day 2014 #TranslationalTufts14 #OneHealth info:http://t.co/Q8HpeH0Mbt http://t… 01:02:19 PM October 20, 2014 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Happy #OpenAccessWeek 2014! | What's New @ HHSL http://t.co/PNCmXE8N0a 10:23:06 AM October 20, 2014 from Bitly ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Happy Monday! Are your bacteria jet-lagged? http://t.co/6SNNhTUL4B via @NewsfromScience 09:36:29 AM October 20, 2014 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
Tufts HHSL on Facebook