Book Review by Jane Ichord, Information Services Librarian
Want to take a break from your job, leave your house behind and move to Paris? If you’re like me, your first answer is “Yes!” and your second answer is “I can’t!”, then follow my lead and pick up a copy of “Paris In Love: A Memoir” by Eloisa James instead. It’s the perfect outlet for living vicariously. James, a professor and writer of historical romances, documents her sabbatical year in the City of Love and Lights. During the course of the year, she eats and shops her way through Paris, offering her audience a glimpse of daily life croissant by croissant. As with any good read, there’s plenty of conflict on which to report — James’ European life is not all fun and games: her husband and kids are along for the ride. There are anecdotes about navigating Parisian schools, surviving ordinary marital spats in foreign territory, and gaining perspective on those less economically fortunate.
James’ account is the perfect T or beach read, packed with abbreviated vignettes that, in fact, started out as Facebook posts. It’s my idea of the perfect summer escape; shopping without spending, eating without the calories, and the right mix of adventure and reality to keep me from canceling my week at the beach and booking a one-way flight to Paris.
Tags4th floor 6th floor Ask Leo book review book talk celebration circulation congratulations copyright databases dental eBooks electronic resource electronic resources events extended hours food fun lab graduation HHSL Hirsh Health Sciences Library holidays hours ILLiad Interlibrary Loan library service desk library staff lunch match day new books open access open access week open workshop portals publishing recipes resources restaurant review staff summer Tufts Hirsh Health Sciences Library TUSM Under10 website Women's History Month
Follow Us on Twitter!
- RT @sweetfoodie: RT if you’re joining my #nutritionmonth twitter party (+prizes!) tomorrow at 11am PST! #rdchat #healthyliving http://t.co/… about 6 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @NatGeo: Caption this image by Yasha Shantha—and don't miss last week's winning captions: http://t.co/qCRtvhHjbt http://t.co/dHJG3cGLhZ about 9 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @nytimeshealth: Well: Endometriosis Is Often Ignored in Teenage Girls http://t.co/QatcjaTaU7 about 9 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @tuftsctsi: Sign up now for tomorrow's #SurveyDesign seminar/webcast by @TuftsMedSchool's Susan Koch-Weser http://t.co/tYxy05U83S http:/… about 9 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Peer review fraud! | Major publisher retracts 43 scientific papers amid wider fake peer-review scandal http://t.co/w7aNobHKzt about 13 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- It's snowing today! (Oh dear.) What a great day to study in the library. The service desk is open until 10PM and you can stay until 2AM. 12:17:40 PM March 28, 2015 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
Tufts HHSL on Facebook