The Night Circus is a story that sticks with you. Morgenstern’s poetic approach to descriptions of the circus and its denizens dance on the page, and after finishing the book, anything less poetic end up coming off as drab. Really, the circus almost comes alive when you’re reading, and there are moments you begin to wonder if you can smell the popcorn and caramel she continually refers to.
In an odd happenstance, the two characters at the center of the contest that powers the story actually end up feeling a bit contrived by the last page, making the reader wonder how the rest of the book veritably sparkles, and then that can still happen. Still, it doesn’t truly detract from the story in any meaningful way. The issues that the reader may take with certain elements of that piece of the story stand out all the more because of the nearly effortless way the rest of the book pulls itself together.
You can do far worse than picking up The Night Circus, even with so few beach days left to the year. Of course, perhaps the visual and olfactory sensations present on the page will bring the sharp air of the impending autumn into relief.
There’s certainly one easy way to find out.
Want to read The Night Circus? You can check it out at Hirsh! Just click the cover to be taken to the listing in the catalog. Happy reading!
Tags4th floor 5th floor Ask Leo book review circulation copyright databases eBooks electronic resource electronic resources events extended hours food fun fun lab graduation HHSL Hirsh Health Sciences Library holidays hours ILLiad Interlibrary Loan library service desk library staff lunch new books new resource open access open access week open workshop portals publishing recipes resources restaurant review staff statistics stress relief summer therapy dogs Tufts Hirsh Health Sciences Library TUSM Under10 website writing consultants
Follow Us on Twitter!
- RT @NPRHealth: When Baby Sleeps Near Mom, Guess Who Doesn't Sleep Well? http://t.co/L9hBrzeerg 02:48:40 PM October 02, 2015 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- @smarfdoc In case you are interested, the library just got a copy of Marion's"Soda Politic. It's on the new books shelf on the 4th floor :-) 12:31:56 PM October 02, 2015 from Twitter Web Client in reply to smarfdoc ReplyRetweetFavorite
- In case you didn't hear it: Parke Wilde on NPR Via @NPR: Why Does Government Act As Tax Collector For Agribusiness? http://t.co/ySkjNMHCC5 08:31:21 AM October 02, 2015 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @TuftsNutrition: Friedman student @allygallop telling us about her summer internship experience with @FoodMinds today: https://t.co/IbaI… 04:08:09 PM October 01, 2015 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Tufts Institute for Innovation has released a new Seed Funding RFP! Learn more about it here: http://t.co/lKirbaJWIG 11:33:45 AM October 01, 2015 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @sciam: The new changes in medical billing, effective today, will affect science and you. Here's why you should care: http://t.co/BIoQI0… 09:26:34 AM October 01, 2015 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
Tufts HHSL on Facebook