The Night Circus is a story that sticks with you. Morgenstern’s poetic approach to descriptions of the circus and its denizens dance on the page, and after finishing the book, anything less poetic end up coming off as drab. Really, the circus almost comes alive when you’re reading, and there are moments you begin to wonder if you can smell the popcorn and caramel she continually refers to.
In an odd happenstance, the two characters at the center of the contest that powers the story actually end up feeling a bit contrived by the last page, making the reader wonder how the rest of the book veritably sparkles, and then that can still happen. Still, it doesn’t truly detract from the story in any meaningful way. The issues that the reader may take with certain elements of that piece of the story stand out all the more because of the nearly effortless way the rest of the book pulls itself together.
You can do far worse than picking up The Night Circus, even with so few beach days left to the year. Of course, perhaps the visual and olfactory sensations present on the page will bring the sharp air of the impending autumn into relief.
There’s certainly one easy way to find out.
Want to read The Night Circus? You can check it out at Hirsh! Just click the cover to be taken to the listing in the catalog. Happy reading!
Tags4th floor 5th floor Ask Leo book review circulation crafts data databases dental electronic resource electronic resources events extended hours food fun fun lab graduation HHSL Hirsh Health Sciences Library holiday holidays hours ILLiad Interlibrary Loan library service desk library staff lunch new books open access open access week open workshop portals recipes resources restaurant review staff statistics summer Thanksgiving therapy dogs Tufts Hirsh Health Sciences Library TUSM Under10 website writing consultants
Follow Us on Twitter!
- RT @lisagualtieri: Lego person from @datatorrent rests in @Misfit band while visiting https://t.co/VHQZHpvTbG. Next stop is #HIMSS16 https:… about 7 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Check your enrollment status everyone! The MA primary approaches! https://t.co/FV2WnC8x1H about 7 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @TuftsUniversity: Tufts Prof @samsommers writes in @BostonGlobe: "Would you pay $15k to have Gronk at your barbecue?" https://t.co/7c15b… about 7 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Bonus: many serve breakfast well after 12pm! Where to find 10 perfect breakfasts in Boston https://t.co/PYwDJprmLK via @BostonGlobe about 7 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @GreenTufts: Sign up for a farm share from @EnterpriseFarm -- weekly deliveries start in June https://t.co/NOofMXNQiL #csa #local https:… about 11 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @GinnLibrary: We are happy to be hosting our first Intro to Cash Analysis workshop today in the new #mugarlab. Attending? Let us know yo… about 11 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
Tufts HHSL on Facebook